NON-GIBSON, SELF-TUNING

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

electrofaro

Re: NON-GIBSON, SELF-TUNING

Post by electrofaro »

jingle_jangle wrote:Learn to tune, develop your ear as much as you can, and enjoy!
There goes my future as first tone deaf guitar player! :lol:

I doubt any manufacturer would want a part that is a lot of work to install, and brings no real advantage.

The guy from Sick Puppier says he plays rough - whenever I do I tend to break a string here or there...
What I would definitely like to know is how long it takes to change strings on that thing!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Wildberry wrote:
I doubt any manufacturer would want a part that is a lot of work to install, and brings no real advantage.
[/quote]

The advantages are hard to see...although nothing is hard to install, if it's in the original build. It's aftermarket stuff that can be a buster (I once--only once--installed a Floyd Rose in a Fender body. Whatta pain!
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Well, I checked out their website. After reading through the set up section, it sounds a lot quicker and easier to just tune the damn guitar. Also, if one strings up a guitar properly, this is a complicated solution to a nonexistent problem.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Evertune was running a campaign awhile back to register on popular guitar forums and provide testimonials. When confronted with the previous issues, I was told that "this product is not aimed at guitarists, it's aimed at musicians". That is to say, this product is for people working in a studio who need "perfect tuning" during a recording to be in sync with all the other instruments, or something to that effect.

Personally I wasen't terribly fond of their "representives" because they always seemed to talk down to anyone who didn't "get it" as if we wern't real guitarists because we don't record in a studio enviroment.

So yea, if I seem overly negative about Evertune... it's because I am.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That type of strategy is intended to sharply focus the marketing thrust, and it appears that, instead of a product with universal appeal, instead we're seeing one with limited usefulness, that's attempting to divide and conquer a very tiny slice of a market by using exclusionary rhetoric.

This, in turn, would seem to be a result of defining a major flaw in concept, too late to do anything about it. The major flaw: All guitarists play out of tune at least some of the time, intentionally or otherwise. It's part of musicality.

Today's software can isolate and correct offensive out of tune tones anyway. Although, of course, being "in tune" is generally a desirable thing, Evertune actively works against musicality in the interest of tuning perfection--an interesting intellectual conceit, but one with little practical utility.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Ignoring the sales hype which seems to work against them, the product seems to function well and is not unattractive looking. Could be a good solution for guitars that are plagued with tuning problems.
All I wanna do is rock!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

kiramdear wrote:Ignoring the sales hype which seems to work against them, the product seems to function well and is not unattractive looking. Could be a good solution for guitars that are plagued with tuning problems.
A proper setup by a competent tech, and perhaps some new tuning heads, seems a better and less drastic solution.
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Post by heinpete »

:?: Does anybody know the band/title of the intro music? Funny thing is the dog in the background just fleeing when the guitar starts! :lol:
Wildberry wrote:
paologregorio wrote:Notice as well, that no one during the entire video frets or bends a note.
Maybe this is more your video?

Kind of weird people are so negative about something they never tested :?
I'll make a judgement once I tested it, until then it's just another 3rd party replacement part!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jimk wrote:Looks like an interesting gizzmo. I guess I don't need one. I've gotten along just fine in the past. I guess I'll continue getting along just fine in the future.
JimK
+1 :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
marc61

Post by marc61 »

If being in perfect tune was so important, Nirvana's Nevermind would be a boring album. Part of the mystique and allure of their music was in it's non-perfection (for lack of a better term)

I still vote thumbs down at this, and the Gibson auto tune thing. Technology hurts us sometimes. Ear training is an important part of being a musician. This product makes us lose that a little.Kinda like how the calculator makes us forget basic arithmetic.

Live, my band tunes to a tuning fork, then during the set, my bass becomes the tuner. Mitch Easter mentioned to me that his bassist likes to tune to the music they hear in the venue. I equated that to making sour dough bread where you need a piece of starter dough. Very cool imho.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I've spent a lot of time at gigs and rehearsals listening to guitar players tune up. I don't hear it so much anymore because of silent tuning pedals and such, but I still see it. The device is not ugly at all, and would probably look right at home on a RIC 650 guitar. I just don't see what the problem is. I see this catching on a lot more with professional musicians than collectors who don't want to route an instrument though. If people who owned relatively new Ricks would forget the idea of resale value or collectability, I think we'd see a lot more interesting mods than knobs and pickups on these instruments.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I'd prolly rout out the wrong spot, and the whole device would just drop/fall down inside the body of the guitar, kinda like a car falling into a sinkhole. . . .

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”