Shipping USA --> Germany

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

BlueHelmet

Shipping USA --> Germany

Post by BlueHelmet »

Hi guys,

I'm located in Germany and another member of this forum, located in the US, has a small collection of hardware parts (the biggest one is pickguard-sized) he would like to send me. Do any of you have experience with international shipping and can suggest a cheap shipping method?

(I know, I know. I googled it, but didn't really come up with good results :()
Just another Rickenbacker noob. // Also, not a native speaker of English - feel free to correct me and improve my English anytime you like.
electrofaro

Re: Shipping USA --> Germany

Post by electrofaro »

As it's not that big, it should be possible to send it as small package through the regular mail - couriers will mean customs, and you might end up paying duties for the items.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
BlueHelmet

Post by BlueHelmet »

AFAIK even a normal/small package means customs and tax. Perhaps no VAT as the items are used and not new. Still, checking out USPS sounds like a good idea.
Just another Rickenbacker noob. // Also, not a native speaker of English - feel free to correct me and improve my English anytime you like.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I wrote a bit about the duties here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=398811

So far I've bought dozens of times in the US over the internet - the small packages were all marked with value somewhere 9 to 30 USD.
I didn't even ask for them to do that. It was quite weird to get an expensive CD box set listed on the green customs declaration as New CD, value 9 USD!
I asked the seller, a decent small record company, and they said they do that to avoid stuff being stolen!

In the regular mail they simply don't have the manpower to check every small package - at least here in Holland.

"2nd hand metal/resin toy parts" with a value of 25 USD might be something to try.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I have had great luck and speed using the US mail. I've sent to England, Norway, Portugal, Israel, with the same success.

Return to “Trivia”