"Ebony and Ivory" Bass?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickboy88
Intermediate Member

"Ebony and Ivory" Bass?

Post by rickboy88 »

I was driving home a couple of nights ago and heard McCartney's "Ebony and Ivory" on the stereo. The bass part really grabbed me. It was also more "out there" in the mix like some of the old Beatles' stuff (White Album for one). I guess that I'd forgotten about the way the part stood out. Does anyone know which bass McCartney uses in the video? The assumption is that it was also on the recording. I figured that someone might know. No guesses allowed. :wink:

A bit of trivia about the video was that apparently they recorded each of the their video performances separately due to different schedules.

I'm sticking this post in "The Others" since it likely isn't Rickenbacker related.

Advance to ~ 1:28 in video.

Last edited by rickboy88 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: "Ebony and Ivory" Bass?

Post by johnallg »

That is a Kay headstock. Somewhere I saw an article about Paul having one but I forget where....
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Thanks John. It is the Kay "Jazz Special":

http://www.kaybassguitar.com/buy-kay-ja ... r-sale.htm

He also used it on an older Junior's Farm video:

In both cases, was it also used on the recording? Hmmm....

For "Ebony and Ivory," I think he only used it because it had the right look for the song's video. Wasn't he already using the Yamaha BB1200 bass by 1982? I'm thinking that it is likely the one played for "Ebony..."

I found an old, old interesting thread from the old RickResource forum from 2001/2001:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2100&start=0
Last edited by rickboy88 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Brian S., you said the same thing I did, only back in 2005 (swear that I didn't see it till now):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56654&p=107317&hili ... ss#p107317

I thought I searched on Ebony and Ivory in the Beatles' Forum.

Enough crazed RickResource posting for the night.

Return to “The Low End”