Blue-eyed Soul

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Blue-eyed Soul

Post by elreydlp »

Don't get much better than this! Dino Danelli, who I think INVENTED modern rock drumming, just SMOKES, and puts on a great show. Carmine Appice told me when he was a young up-and-comer in NYC that Dino was THE MAN every drummer wanted to be (he came pretty close too!). Rare close-ups of gene Cornish are kind of cool, and what can you say about Felix's voice and organ playing?
This medley was a staple of our mid-60's sets:

duke

Re: Blue-eyed Soul

Post by duke »

Great video, Skip! Dino Danelli is an outstanding drummer and an outstanding showman!

When he was speaking about Gene Krupa, Louie Bellson once said that if you had a room filled with drummers, your eyes would automatically be drawn to Gene...he had a stage presence that commanded attention. The same can surely be said about Dino!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Re. Krupa-so true! that cat was from another planet!
We had two drummers Duke, and when they sync'd up on this medley, it sent chills down my spine!
PM me your email address and I'll send you a pic of that group. I can't post pics to the site.
As much as Carmine LOOKS like a R & R "bad boy", he couldn't be nicer. I ran into him in a Wal Mart parking lot. Here's this bada** looking dude in a wife-beater shirt and big black 'stache walking with a little girl (his daughter) hanging onto his index finger and skipping along! It was so cute, I couldn't bring myself to interupting them.
he still brings his "A" game every night!

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Here are a couple of old fogies doing it right! 8)

Warning, mild profanity in a couple of comments.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Cool..and right on time..I just bought my first drum kit today!
duke

Post by duke »

elreydlp wrote:Re. Krupa-so true! that cat was from another planet!
We had two drummers Duke, and when they sync'd up on this medley, it sent chills down my spine!
PM me your email address and I'll send you a pic of that group. I can't post pics to the site.
As much as Carmine LOOKS like a R & R "bad boy", he couldn't be nicer. I ran into him in a Wal Mart parking lot. Here's this bada** looking dude in a wife-beater shirt and big black 'stache walking with a little girl (his daughter) hanging onto his index finger and skipping along! It was so cute, I couldn't bring myself to interupting them.
Thanks Skip! PM sent. (I hope I did it right.)
Two drummers must have really sounded cool! I've always enjoyed watching good drummers tearing it up together.
Loved your anecdote about Carmine! He could always get with a set of drums...big time!
jps wrote:Here are a couple of old fogies doing it right! 8)
Terrific stuff! They definitely prove that we're never too old!
kenposurf wrote:Cool..and right on time..I just bought my first drum kit today!
That's cool, George! What kind of drums did you buy?
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

duke wrote:
elreydlp wrote:Re. Krupa-so true! that cat was from another planet!
Thanks Skip! PM sent. (I hope I did it right.)
Two drummers must have really sounded cool! I've always enjoyed watching good drummers tearing it up together.
Loved your anecdote about Carmine! He could always get with a set of drums...big time!
jps wrote:Here are a couple of old fogies doing it right! 8)
Terrific stuff! They definitely prove that we're never too old!
kenposurf wrote:Cool..and right on time..I just bought my first drum kit today!
That's cool, George! What kind of drums did you buy?
Hey Duke..a used Pearl Masters Retrospec set..the learning curve begins!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Q%253D&vie
duke

Post by duke »

kenposurf wrote:Hey Duke..a used Pearl Masters Retrospec set..the learning curve begins!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Q%253D&vie
Very cool, George! Have a blast! Keep us posted on your progress!

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”