Strat String/Set Up Recommendations

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

NFB-418

Strat String/Set Up Recommendations

Post by NFB-418 »

I'm not an electric (6 string) guitar guy (I'm a bassist who dabbles), but I inherited a 2001 Fender American Strat and decided to restring it a week ago. I'm not sure certain what kind of strings I pulled off of it, but I know they were flats and possibly D'Addario since they had colored ball ends.

Anyway, I figured I would put the recommended strings on which are Fender Silver Bullets 3250L (.009-.042). Well, that was a HUGE mistake. I have fret buzz like nobody's business. I made a few truss rod adjustments over a couple days and I still have considerable buzzing. Then I decided to raise the bridge saddles to see if it would alleviate the problem. It did not.

Is it possible that I'm using strings which are too light? Any recommendations of which strings might work better? I've loosened the truss rod and raised the bridge saddles about as far as I'm comfortable doing. Since I've only done set up work on my Ric bass and have little experience working on electric guitars, I'm hoping you all can give me some advice. Thanks!
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
analogpackrat

Re: Strat String/Set Up Recommendations

Post by analogpackrat »

It seems like you had a floating tremolo setup and now you've reduced the overall string tension so the bridge is decked. This will mess up intonation (everything will tend to be flat), action (too low), etc. Changing string gauge (or type) on a Strat with a floating bridge can be a frustrating experience the first time you deal with it.

So, does it a have a hard-tail or tremolo (whammy) bridge? If trem, was the bridge set up to be floating with the flats? The usual Strat set up with a trem will have the back edge of the bridge floating a couple of mm off the body with everything in tune. Achieving this is literally a balancing act involving repetitive adjustments of trem spring claw and tuning. If you made a major change in string tension you may have to change the number of trem springs rather than simply tweaking the claw screws.

Have you popped off the back cover? How many trem springs do you see? With the heavy flats it may have 4-5. With Fender 9-42 strings you can get away with 3-4 depending on how stiff you want the tremolo action to be.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
NFB-418

Post by NFB-418 »

Thanks for the reply and info, Doug.

Yes, the tremolo seems to have been set to float. I popped off the back cover and there are only 3 springs! Perhaps those flats weren't so high tension to begin with?
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Jay,

Any time you change strings and do not stay with the same gauge and brand on a Stratocaster you may run into all sorts of issues. Basically you upset the geometry of the instrument when you installed a new set of strings. You probably need a complete setup of the guitar based on your new string preference.

Whenever I do work on a Strat for anyone else, the first thing I do is pull out my micrometer and check the strings. I have found that owners do not always remember with any sort of accuracy what strings they put on their guitar last. :wink: In any event it is helpful to know the brand and type as well as gauge of strings last used, because that also gives you an idea of the sort of tension exerted on the neck.

In the absence of any useful information, after installing the new strings, I usually start from scratch and proceed to go through the process of setting up the neck, the bridge and saddles (to roughly where the guitar should sound somewhat intonated) and then I dial in the intonation.

There is nothing like the sound of a good guitar when it is perfectly intonated. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Jay,

This site has some pretty useful information.

Oops I see the link did not attach. I'll add it in a while. Once I locate it again. :roll: :lol:

Here we go: http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_3535_fend ... setup.html
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
NFB-418

Post by NFB-418 »

Thanks, Brian. I've been doing some research and think I have a pretty good grasp of what I need to do: replace the tremolo with a fixed bridge! :lol:

Seriously, though, I think I'll be able to manage going forward. Just like working on my RIC bass, it takes patience, commitment and a little help from my (forum) friends.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

just put those two missing springs back, it will give more stability to the bridge, that's the first thing i do with every strat style guitar that is missing some... or if you don't use tremolo at all just stick a small block of wood behind the block of the tremolo. it makes it hardtail right there.
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
bcalvanese

Post by bcalvanese »

You can find everything you need here...

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/ ... etup-guide

Hope this helps.
~bob~

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”