USA made bass combo amp

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: USA made bass combo amp

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:I used to have two Bag End S15 cabinets that I ran with either a SWR Bass 350 or, a bit later on, a rack system that had an Alembic F-1X preamp into an Aphex 661 Expressor compressor to a Stewart World 1.2 power amp, with a Korg DTR-1 tuner in the F-1X's effects loop.
Jeff, since you're not using it anymore, send me the WW. :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:
jps wrote:I used to have two Bag End S15 cabinets that I ran with either a SWR Bass 350 or, a bit later on, a rack system that had an Alembic F-1X preamp into an Aphex 661 Expressor compressor to a Stewart World 1.2 power amp, with a Korg DTR-1 tuner in the F-1X's effects loop.
Um, I used it at my last gig. :roll: :mrgreen:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:
johnallg wrote:
Um, I used it at my last gig. :roll: :mrgreen:
Dang! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MaplegloMatt

Post by MaplegloMatt »

Here is a photo of my new Carvin MB15 with the Bag End S15 Cab.
Attachments
Carvin Bag End Rig.jpeg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Looks good, now, how does it all sound? :)
MaplegloMatt

Post by MaplegloMatt »

It sounds very good. So far, I've only cranked the master volume to 4 but with the extra cab attached it rattles everything in my basement!

The Carvin combo amp is a pleasant surprise. (especially on sale for $370) Having to order direct from them, I bought it sight unseen and sound unheard. Jeff, you're right about the small size of the cab. It is the weakest part of the rig but if anyone is thinking of buying this amp it is not a deal breaker by any means. I can get a very nice deep tone with just the Carvin. The horn isn't too bright, I can't hear any noticable hiss, and there is a switch to "dim" the horn's output if it gets to be too much. The amp section is very nice. Plenty of power and so many eq options that I'm sure there are even better tones on tap....I just have figured them out yet. The amp is now available as a stand alone micro amp for $299 so for just a few buck more I got a cab/driver/horn.

But, it's when the extra cab (in this case the Bag End S15) is hooked up that this thing comes alive. Wow! It rocks! This rig should be plenty for any small/medium venue. And with the DI out option I should never have an issue. I can't wait to test it in band situation. What this rig will allow me to do is leave the Bag End cab in the drummers studio and just tote the Carvin back and forth so I'll have a practice amp at the house.
It should be a potent micro stack.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool!

I got together with some new musicians to jam with; they did mostly hard rock, pretty loud, (for my ears, anyway) and my Markbass Minimark is all I used for amplification. They were amazed that this tiny, little thing can keep up. 8)
MaplegloMatt

Post by MaplegloMatt »

That Mini Mark looks really cool. I thought about one when I was looking around for an amp but they were a little out of my price range. The power rating seems similar to the Carvin. They are both rated at 250w w/ an ext. cab. How does it do with another speaker?
I had the chance to play through a Mark Bass cmd 300/500w w/2 10's. It belongs to the bass player I've been subbing for. It was REALLY nice! Beautiful, full tone.
Speaking of tone.....I'm getting closer. I thought I'd not really like having a horn with the 2 15's but as it turns out, it gives my sound a little more snarl. Especially since I'm using flatwounds. And the best part of my latest quest for tone is a whole new appreciation (if that's possible :) ) for my 4003s!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The MM with my custom EV B-110 cabinet is very faithful to the tone of all my basses with an amazing amount of volume for what it is. I may bring that the next time i get together with these guys.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I've used Carvin gear for years. They make great stuff for the working musician. Never had a bad product from them. Currently I have no Carvin amps, but I own 3 of their basses.
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “The Low End”