Article on Lennon's RIC 325

The history and music of the Fab Four
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Article on Lennon's RIC 325

Post by JakeK »

I played a 325 at SCARF, and although I am not partial to the short scale, you can get some driving 1965 and earlier Beatles rhythms as well as some CCR stuff out of it. I'm sure there are people who will say differently and that it's a versatile guitar, but I don't think it's a guitar for anyone who plans to play above the 12th fret. And for a lead guitarist, it's very easy to make a mistake on it. One thing is for sure, it is the only guitar that will nail the 1965 and earlier Beatles rhythm sound. I played the hard rhythms to "Roll Over Beethoven", "Dizzy Miss Lizzy", "Twist and Shout", "All My Loving" and "Hold Me Tight" with ease that I never seem to have on a full scale guitar. If Ric ever made a 310 reissue, I wouldn't mind owning one.

EDIT: Apparently, they did make a 310 reissue at one point...MAN the Japanese get everything!
http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS01367429
treewalker

Post by treewalker »

egosheep wrote:Pretty ridiculous article... seems like they are being paid by Gibson or something.
+1
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

JakeK wrote:I played a 325 at SCARF, and although I am not partial to the short scale, you can get some driving 1965 and earlier Beatles rhythms as well as some CCR stuff out of it. I'm sure there are people who will say differently and that it's a versatile guitar, but I don't think it's a guitar for anyone who plans to play above the 12th fret. And for a lead guitarist, it's very easy to make a mistake on it. One thing is for sure, it is the only guitar that will nail the 1965 and earlier Beatles rhythm sound. I played the hard rhythms to "Roll Over Beethoven", "Dizzy Miss Lizzy", "Twist and Shout", "All My Loving" and "Hold Me Tight" with ease that I never seem to have on a full scale guitar. If Ric ever made a 310 reissue, I wouldn't mind owning one.

EDIT: Apparently, they did make a 310 reissue at one point...MAN the Japanese get everything!
http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS01367429
+325 Well said! I use them for rhythm guitar. Fun to play, too.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Well... To be generous to the author... I think that we've all played different guitars and each has it's own voice and is played differently. Personally, I love playing 3/4 scale guitars. I can pick one up and feel instantly comfortable. I grew up playing Gibsons and the first Fender I bought took some time to adjust to. And I'm a pro. Obviously, Lennon played so much amazing music on his rick that it's immaterial if this one reporter didn't instantly take to the guitar. And to be less generous to the author... If he was any good in the first place, perhaps he'd hearing his music instead of reading this article :) .
Tubescreamer

Post by Tubescreamer »

I've had a couple of guitar shop experiences with brand new Ricks where they apparently hadn't been properly set up for play, for whatever reasons. On one occasion it was a 325 that seemed like a child's toy when held, and did not play well at all. Because it wasn't adjusted properly, it felt very cheap and junky to me at the time. I'm no guitar expert by any stretch, but as cool as it looked I had no desire to own it or play it again. I'm guessing the writer of the article may have had a similar experience, unable to believe such great music came out of such a peculiar little guitar.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

simer4001 wrote:At least no one will be fighting this guy on ebay for a 325. He sounds pretty bitter about it. I wonder what the 325 did to him?
Sounds more like sour grapes that the Beatles made it and he didn't.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”