New Feelies Album!

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

New Feelies Album!

Post by rkbsound »

The Feelies have released their first album in 19 years. As a Feelies fan, I am biased. But I put their new album next to REM's new album (a fair comparison, I think) and the Feelies win, hands down. The new REM release is really good, but "Here Before" by the Feelies is a must for anyone enjoys REM/Velvet Underground/Television, etc...

http://www.thefeeliesweb.com/
slimpickens

Re: New Feelies Album!

Post by slimpickens »

Hey!

Thanks so much for the word on this. My friends have been accusing me of being in a cultural freefall for a while now... I guess this is just more evidence. I loved that band back in the day and still listen to "The Good Earth" a fair amount. Of course Peter Buck's production doesn't hurt much!

I'll check it out.
360/12v64 FG | 360v64 JG
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

I haven't heard that name in a while. I used to listen to them in the big hair, parachute pants 80's.
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

The new album "Here Before" is the new record and it is filled with great tracks. "Way Down" is my favorite.
Brenda recently bought an old Hagstrom bass off me, and sadly I learned she sold her late 70's 4001 a couple of years ago! :(

My J-100 had the honor of being requested to be used for some of songs!
Here's a shot of Bill Million in my living room, picking up the guitar on his way from Florida to Water Music in Hoboken! :wink:
Attachments
Feelies guitars for recording.jpg
Bill with j100.jpg
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Adam - you are one lucky guy...and I'm sure you know it! I heard "Way Down" last summer at Maxwell's and said to Rich B that the song would be my new favorite Feelies song. But I like so many of other tunes on the album - it's hard to pick a favorite just yet. I've got my tix for Saturday, July 2nd at Maxwell's -- I hope they play a lot of the new material!
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

1a12 wrote:The new album "Here Before" is the new record and it is filled with great tracks. "Way Down" is my favorite.
Brenda recently bought an old Hagstrom bass off me, and sadly I learned she sold her late 70's 4001 a couple of years ago! :(
Hey Adam -- saw the bass at the Saturday show in Hoboken! Was talking to Rich throughout the show and he told me about it, and that they named it "Daphne", due to the color. I commented that it looked really cool, and asked about it because I knew she had been looking at a Hofner last year in Hoboken. Her bass sounds really, really good through the Carvin head -- it's such a smooth but powerful sound. And her style is incredible. I'd love to hear her play Daphne, though!

The show was great. I really am fortunate to have been able to meet Rich, because he's such a nice guy and is willing to talk gear with me the entire time. I hope to get to see Wild Carnation and Speed the Plough in August, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

Blue Hag.jpg
Great!! I only went to one show and I think it was the last of the 3 @ Maxwell's. Brenda has been complaining of the Hag's Bridge pickup not being powerful enough. She likes the way it plays, though has not played it live. She used it on about half of the record though. It kinda has a round punchy Entwhistling sound. I believe she plays through her old GK RB 400 head and the Carvin Cab. She really plays to Stan, locks in with him and Dave so the guitars can do their interplay....She plays like her personality...(most do)

Rich is a terrific guy, he has two 360's in the closet, and has only been playing his Gretsch lately. He used the Rickys on the first WC recordings he has said.

You have to hear Speed the Plough's new Album "Shine" Its really good!
Just learned that Glenn is putting together a solo show in December in Montclair...We'll start rehearsing soon, and hope I'll see you there!
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Awesome! Please let me know when you have a date...if I travel to NJ at that time I will try to make it!
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

December 16th @ Tierneys in (Montclair??) North Jersey! yay!
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

That's awesome! I don't think I'll be down then, but if I am I will try to show. Congrats!
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Videos from our 1st show are up! We did Higher Ground, which I butchered, but loved playing!

http://www.facebook.com/UnsoundMethodsRoc
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

Bravo!! nice curve ball with the tempo!
I'm sure it felt real good too !

:D
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

1a12 wrote:Bravo!! nice curve ball with the tempo!
I'm sure it felt real good too !

:D
The idea was to pay homage to The Feelies by covering them the way they tend to cover other bands...kick it up! The idea was floated and we all agreed. I think it works!

Return to “On Stage”