325 Trade Deal Advice

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JWL1964

325 Trade Deal Advice

Post by JWL1964 »

Hi guys,

I've been offered a straight trade deal and hoping to get some input...

I have a mint condition 1990 325v59 in Jetglo with full Lennon mods and I have the opportunity to do a straight trade for a mint condition 325c58 also in Jetglo with full Lennon mods.

The guy I would be trading with has two c58's (as well as a v63) and had previously owned a v59, which he now regrets selling, which explains his reasoning behind the deal.

For my part, i originally wanted the c58 when I bought my v59, but couldn't find one available at the time and really like my v59...

Obviously the c58 is the newer and more accurate guitar, but my v59 is surely getting rarer and approaching vintage status...

What shall I do?!

Thanks
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Re: 325 Trade Deal Advice

Post by egosheep »

I don't know that there is a right or wrong trade, if you love the guitar you have, you may regret giving it up. Go play the other guitar, and if it blows your own 325 out of the water, then do it.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
JWL1964

Post by JWL1964 »

Thanks Thomas, that's kind of what I'd thought, I guess it is all down to the individual guitar at the end of the day.

I'd be interested in whether people think the two would be worth about the same, baring in mind that the c58 is newer and more accurate and the v59 is rarer and approaching 'vintage' status?

If it helps both prospective traders are in the UK where the supply of 325's is scarce to say the least, plus the British Pound is very weak against the dollar at the moment making importing one very cost prohibitive for us Brits at present.
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

I've never played a v59, but have owned a number of c58s and a c64.

Cosmetically, the only thing I've seen that might put me off the v59 is the larger headstocks on some(?).

I'm also guessing, given the woods involved, the v59s are going to feel more substantial than the c58s, which are feather light--I'm thinking the 59 would be closer to the c64 or v63 in terms of weight, though the c64 is much narrower in depth of body than either the 59 05 58.

Price-wise, they seem to be a wash at the moment, given the recent sales I've seen here in the States. I sold my short scales a while back, and now doubt I could afford to repurchase one, LOL...

If the Lennon connection is really important to you, I'd probably lean towards the c58. But as already suggested, if you really enjoy the way your v59 feels and plays, by all means make sure you'll be at least as happy with the c58--I'd hate to see you make the trade then regret it.

Good luck with your choice!!
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

A C58 with "full Lennon mods" means scrapping the Kauffman and attaching a Bigsby -- not a reversible mod. The V59 already comes with a Bigsby, so the other Lennon mods (bridge, knobs, other?) on a V59 are reversible.

I think that the "market" value of a C58 with a Bigsby mounted would be less than a V59 because of the irreversible mod -- unless you were going to make that mod anyway. Then the value becomes subjective and it's a matter of which one plays better for you.

From what I have seen, the C58 unmodded fetches a higher price than the V59, though many C58s being sold are fairly new and thus "mint."
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Keep it, for senimental purposes. You might regret selling it someday.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”