'76 481

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jwilli
RRF Consultant

'76 481

Post by jwilli »

I've owned a couple of '70s 481s but sold them off. Had them in the later '90s. One collector called them "boat paddles", lol. That was when they rarely cost more than $500. Well, I won one at auction. A '76 in FG. It has a repaired neck and I over paid for it. Professionally repaired but.....repaired. Anyway, I got it...and I really, really like it. Slant frets and all. I had to re-solder a ground, that was easy. Playing it thru a '96 VOX AC-15. Too cool! Pics to follow. Now..about the prices I've seen......2k is way too much in my opinion to pay for one of these instruments. ( I didn't pay that much! ) The slanted frets really do make playing barre chords easier. Now...to figure out that little switch......... :lol:
Fretjob

Re: '76 481

Post by Fretjob »

I've currently got a large fixation with these things myself. I don't have a 6 string at all, plenty of basses. This little beauty, looking like a mini bass, just ticks all my boxes. :D I think i've watched all the recent auctions to see if something pops up.

Grats on it and lets see those pics. :)
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

The mini-toggle is a phase reversal switch.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Fretjob wrote:I've currently got a large fixation with these things myself. I don't have a 6 string at all, plenty of basses. This little beauty, looking like a mini bass, just ticks all my boxes. :D I think i've watched all the recent auctions to see if something pops up.

Grats on it and lets see those pics. :)
Yeah, me too. And I don't even play guitar! :roll: :lol: But I'd like to learn and the more I hear about (and hear playing) these, the more I'm convinced I need a Rick guitar that matches my basses. To bad they seem to be becoming popular/collectible. But it usually happens that way...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the 481 even if it was a bit overpriced...
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

If you don't mind, how much did you get it for. My guess $1650USD
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Congrats on the 481. However, I still favor the 480 for it's stripped-down flavor! :D
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I personally like the binding and such and so am attracted to the 481 more than the 480. However, the slanted frets really make me wonder...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Spike- wrote:The mini-toggle is a phase reversal switch.
If it's wired correctly ... my 481 Walnut has the wiring messed up so the switch doesn't work as it should (I'm still trying to correct that). I knew it wasn't right before I pulled the pickguard to confirm it because I used to own a Gibson Firebrand 335 that has a similar phase switch.

cjj wrote:I personally like the binding and such and so am attracted to the 481 more than the 480. However, the slanted frets really make me wonder...
I like both styles, but since I do like both the 450 and 460 models, it figures ... 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The wiring on these is fairly simple once you get into it, Gary, and you know where to get the schematics!
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Total sacriledge I know, but I always thought about a 481 with regular frets and 2 or 3 toasters would be cool. Spike, work your Photoshop magic for me!
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
mhm1987

Post by mhm1987 »

Hey,
I'm looking at an old beat-to-hell 480 on ebay. Would anyone mind telling me if this is worth the fix-up? It, at the very least, needs a new jack and a paint job. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rickenbacke ... 1184663106
I'm also looking at a newer one from a small guitar shop, but it's a natural finnish, and I'm really looking for Jetglo. So, either way I'm looking at paint costs. Do you guys think it's worth it to put the work into the vintage one, or am I better off going with the newer guitar?
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

The caution signs on this guitar is that it has no strings on it, so it hasn't been played in a while, and looks like it's been stored in "damp" conditions. This raises questions about the condition of the neck and electronics. Also, one look at the jackplate (the serial no. is somewhere under that rust) is enough to make you wonder how many year's its spent on the floor of someone's basement or garage:
rusty jackplate
rusty jackplate
The finish doesn't look too bad, obviously there's weatherchecking and flaking, but it could clean up with some rubbing compound and polish. I would be concerned about the neck and the electronics. Ask the seller to put some strings on it and see if it plays through an amp. It has what appear to be original Grover "box" tuners, which I believe are kind of rare for a 6 string. Ask the seller if the keys turn.
480 JG
480 JG
This is a fixer-upper for sure, but it could be a decent deal if the neck and electronics are okay and all that's needed is a setup and thorough cleaning.
mhm1987

Post by mhm1987 »

Thanks for the advice
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Who was the guy that left a message saying the serial numbers are hidden under the jack plate? :lol:
trout

Post by trout »

on the subject of this, i've just bought a 73 rick 480 and to be honest i don't like the sound much, would prefer humbuckers in it, would it be possible to put humbuckers in it?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”