WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

electrofaro

Re: WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...

Post by electrofaro »

jingle_jangle wrote:Fender needs a Master Builder to build THIS?
You're just jealous, Paul, that you don't have this gift to produce such "art" :twisted: :P :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Man!, I thought this was bad!
The pickguards alittle much, but I like the colour sceme. Bobmarleycaster? :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

cjj wrote:Interesting idea, but, gad, what a waste of nice wood...
:( :lol:
Interesting, yes, that was my point.

Now, here is an idea to chew on for us all; are these ugly because we are not used to them but only the Fender/Gibson designs, or because they are tasteless. They all couldn't be losers, could they? Not playing devil's advocate, just wanting to hear peoples take on the idea of variations from the norm being seen as "ugly". Rickenbacker/Fender/Gibson/Gretsch are the classics.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:Now, here is an idea to chew on for us all; are these ugly because we are not used to them but only the Fender/Gibson designs, or because they are tasteless. They all couldn't be losers, could they? Not playing devil's advocate, just wanting to hear peoples take on the idea of variations from the norm being seen as "ugly". Rickenbacker/Fender/Gibson/Gretsch are the classics.
Case in point:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

johnallg wrote:

Now, here is an idea to chew on for us all; are these ugly because we are not used to them but only the Fender/Gibson designs, or because they are tasteless. They all couldn't be losers, could they? Not playing devil's advocate, just wanting to hear peoples take on the idea of variations from the norm being seen as "ugly". Rickenbacker/Fender/Gibson/Gretsch are the classics.
Yeah, they are tasteless. They are ugly, of course that's my opinion. I''m sure there are those that think they are something wonderful. Of course, most of those people will think they are wonderful because the advertising tells them that they are. I mean, after all this abomination came from the custom shop, so it must be something special (even though it looks like carp).

But then again, who am I to judge what other people like?
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:
johnallg wrote:Now, here is an idea to chew on for us all; are these ugly because we are not used to them but only the Fender/Gibson designs, or because they are tasteless. They all couldn't be losers, could they? Not playing devil's advocate, just wanting to hear peoples take on the idea of variations from the norm being seen as "ugly". Rickenbacker/Fender/Gibson/Gretsch are the classics.
Case in point:
I love edsels!
Here is an interesting Relic job:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That's a bit more than a relic, Ivan, someone got killed in that.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:That's a bit more than a relic, Ivan, someone got killed in that.
Sorry, I guess that photo crossed the line...
I forgot to realize that maybe people hear had loved ones that died in a car accident.
I didn't intend to offend you Jeff, I let my raw sense of humor get to me on that one...I'm sorry.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

I'm almost afraid to ask what the fretboard material is.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

jingle_jangle wrote:Fender needs a Master Builder to build THIS?
13_CZ517780_a_lg.jpg
..and a fool to buy it.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

johnallg wrote:

Tasteless.

Generally, really bad stuff (the lowest common denominator, taste-wise) is quite popular, because too many people put too much emphasis on novelty. "Rare" or "unique" do not equate to "beautiful".

To put a sexist spin on this, a LOT of "stuff" is purchased by women under the benediction of "cute". It seems that "cute" is all the justification that many women need to whip out the credit card. (Ref: Philip Wylie, "Momism":http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/hi ... omism.html)

Sorry for the sexist spin on this. To flip the coin, lots of men are suckers for macho. How else to explain monster trucks, black Trans Ams (and Porsches), firearms, and beer commercials?

Quality of life is linked to the quality of the things we surround ourselves with. Why else would we play Rickenbackers?
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jingle_jangle wrote: Why else would we play Rickenbackers?
Because of George Harrison? Roger McGuinn? Tom Petty? Paul Weller? Peter Buck? Johnny Mar? Perchance? :twisted:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Not for me. That's a side issue. I have an affinity for the way they're made and the history of the "brand". I played my first Rick back in '65 right about the time the Byrds broke into the top 40, and even then the McGuinn connection was not a factor in my fascination--it was the look and feel of the product. This continues to this day.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jingle_jangle wrote:
johnallg wrote:

Tasteless.

Generally, really bad stuff (the lowest common denominator, taste-wise) is quite popular, because too many people put too much emphasis on novelty. "Rare" or "unique" do not equate to "beautiful".

To put a sexist spin on this, a LOT of "stuff" is purchased by women under the benediction of "cute". It seems that "cute" is all the justification that many women need to whip out the credit card. (Ref: Philip Wylie, "Momism":http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/hi ... omism.html)

Sorry for the sexist spin on this. To flip the coin, lots of men are suckers for macho. How else to explain monster trucks, black Trans Ams (and Porsches), firearms, and beer commercials?

Quality of life is linked to the quality of the things we surround ourselves with. Why else would we play Rickenbackers?
But some stuff is ugly cool!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I truly have a soft spot for Antigua Fenders. And, BTW, that photo is sooo old and has been reproduced and regenerated sooo many times that the colors are completely off.

"Ugly cool", as you call it, relates to social trends as much as accepted ideas of classic beauty. They're anti-beauty, but consciously so, and this gives them validity. Controversy helps too, and may even carry the day.

So far, those 2 Fender Teles have no redeeming qualities, aesthetically speaking, and the obnoxiously high prices make them all the more offensive...

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”