Vox AC30VR

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

fabandgear

Vox AC30VR

Post by fabandgear »

Has anyone had any experience playing a Rick through an AC30VR? I usually use a '71 Fender Super Reverb for most of my playing, but I'd like a Vox for the occasional Beatles gig. The VR models are pretty affordable, but I was wondering if they would be an acceptable alternative to the higher dollar AC30 models.
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
paologregorio

Re: Vox AC30VR

Post by paologregorio »

I've heard them at NAMM and they sounded fantastic. Ask Brian Medway for the players perspective; he has one and LOVES it!
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I own such an amp since a few month. Great!!!

It has the typical singing sound (together with toasters a pure joy) of the normal AC 30.

I compared it to a 1967 AC30. O.K., not so much punch when it is played at the limit, but maybe it is caused in using toasters. - Together with a compressor for raising the strength of the signal very close to the full valve version.

I would buy this amp again without a second of thinking about it.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Forrest the AC30VR is the bees knees as far as I am concerned. A great sounding amp that can be used for any genre, with any guitar. The only thing it lacks that it's big brother has a little bit more of........ is volume. Having said that it is plenty loud enough for any live situation. :mrgreen:

If you search youtube there are a number of great demo videos that will give you a peek at it's tone and versatility. The AC30VR is a winner in every category as far as I am concerned. It has the great looks of the AC30, the original Vox sound (and many others to choose from) and it is very affordable. Couple this with a Vox Tonelab ST and there is nothing that a guitar player cannot emulate.

I give it a 10/10 rating.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

:D

Interesting point about the volume, Brian, but as you pointed out, plenty for any live situation.

I usually have to open up my AC30s until they're too loud to hit the sweet spot anyway, unless I'm using the low power switch on the H2 or the CC2X. Kenny Howes always uses a whatchamacallit to drop the wattage on his, which I had the opportunity to play through at the Yost theatre a couple of years back.

chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

I'm in the minority here- I thought the VR was a substantial disappointment. I was the first to buy one when they showed up and overjoyed that it weighed considerably less than most 2x12 amps. When I got home I played it all afternoon trying to get a sound I liked and it was anemic, thin and lacked volume. Even my wife commented on it. 'Is it supposed to sound like that?' It was brittle and lacked any warmth. I returned it and have gone back to the first AC30 CC2 amp.
Maybe I had a defective one or didn't spend enough time with it, but the local retailers don't seem to carry them anymore.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I think something was prolly up with yours. It might have been the single tube that was in the amp, because the 12AX7 tube in the VR is what does the trick sound-wise, IIRC, and we all know that tubes make a big difference.

fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

Thanks for all of the input, guys! If I didn't already have other amplification, I'd probably go all out and get one of the more expensive Vox AC30s. This is more of a Beatles accessory for limited use (of course who knows? I may freak out over it!) so the price point of the VR is very attractive.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Chuck,

As Paul pointed out the one that you had probably had a defective tube. The tube is the sound. Without it functioning properly I am sure it would not work well at all.

As you know I play a fair amount of blues and I can get the AC30VR to break up nicely at fairly low volumes Paul. What I like about this amp is that I can dial back my guitar for a nice thick and heavy British Blues rhythm sound and then when I increase the volume for lead I have enough sustain to carry the notes just using a finger vibrato technique. No pedals required. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Yep, that's what the demo amp was doing; I swore I could smell and feel the heat and aroma of an old tube amp doing its thing as I stood next to the amp for the demo.

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

paologregorio wrote:Yep, that's what the demo amp was doing; I swore I could smell and feel the heat and aroma of an old tube amp doing its thing as I stood next to the amp for the demo.
That is so true. My old AC30 had a distinctive smell when it warmed up...........a combination of wood, glue, vacuum tubes, capacitors, transformers and tolex that smelled like nothing else on earth. :lol: This one reminds me of that old amp.

Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

But the perfect tube smell needs a whiff of cigarettes and a few crumbs of old dust on top of the tubes...

I call it "stage smell".
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

winston wrote:
paologregorio wrote:Yep, that's what the demo amp was doing; I swore I could smell and feel the heat and aroma of an old tube amp doing its thing as I stood next to the amp for the demo.
That is so true. My old AC30 had a distinctive smell when it warmed up...........a combination of wood, glue, vacuum tubes, capacitors, transformers and tolex that smelled like nothing else on earth. :lol: This one reminds me of that old amp.
Now I KNOW I want one! Only a true guitarist can appreciate not only the sound, looks and features of his equipment, but the SMELL as well! Bravo!!!
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Which one do You mean?

For intensive smell You should go the expensive way. The AC30VR just offers one single tube.

A "normal" AC30 offers seven tubes! These are creating much more smell in stand-by modus than a VR offers in full throttle modus.

But away from the nose back to the ears: The VR is really great.
crstory

Post by crstory »

I bought a 67 Vox AC 30 about a year ago on eBay. As it turned out all the circuitry was screwed up and I blew one of speakers. You all might already know this, but these great old amps run on 110 volts and in the US we have 125-132 volts coming from your wall outlet. You really should have a variac to regulate the power so that you amp can warm up gradually and not blow a tube or speaker. I replaced the old bulldog speakers with celestion vintage 30's. IMO your old Vox shouldn't run hot if properly wired and voltage regulated. I absolutely love playing my old Rickenbackers through it....a marriage made in heaven.
"A Promise never Broken is a strange thing, Indeed." Kevn Kinney

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”