Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

IHeartRics

Re: More 430 Hijinks.....

Post by IHeartRics »

Todd,
Here is what I'm talkin' about:
67_corvette_conv_450.jpg
Paste this color in Photoshop and see what it looks like. The creme yellow, the black and the chrome. Heck, and a 'vette logo somewhere! 8). Put some toasters on it to simulate the headers and I may have to ask the wife permission to buy it off you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

It does look better than I thought it would, but I'm just not much into yellow guitars Plus, white would go well with any outfit that I decide to wear! :mrgreen: As for the Vette logo, that's not likely to happen in this household.....
Attachments
430yellow.jpg
bird.jpg
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

No offense, I would ditch the black guards for a gold or white one. :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

IvanMunoz wrote:No offense, I would ditch the black guards for a gold or white one. :mrgreen:
Stop throwing your food around! :twisted:

White looks great, and goes well with the T-Bird. 8)
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

teb wrote:It does look better than I thought it would, but I'm just not much into yellow guitars Plus, white would go well with any outfit that I decide to wear! :mrgreen: As for the Vette logo, that's not likely to happen in this household.....
White outfit? Who are you? Larry Graham? :lol:

I still like the natural...
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

No, I didn't say that I was going to wear a white outfit, I said that white would go well with any outfit. I'm more of a denim guy. Natural maple has pretty much been out of the picture ever since a previous owner driller double holes for the strap buttons, a whole bunch of oversized holes to make his home-made pickguard hurricane-proof, mounted a DeMarzio pickup at the bridge position and drilled a couple of stray holes next to the neck pickup. That's too many to fill and camoflage neatly and I'm not going to spend the time to re-finish it with a bunch of hard-to-hide fills in the body. If I want a natural finish in this shape, I'll just make one from scratch. I still have a big slab of figured maple left over from the other body. In the mean time, it's kind of fun to see what can be done using the original body.

No gold guards. I was lucky enough to get a mint black plexi TRC with this one, and we all know how hard those are to get your hands on. The choice was to either use it, or auction it off to pay for the project and I figure I'll use it - so the guards will probably stay black. They could maybe be white, but gold would look pretty funky.

It's interesting how many of the suggestions from the peanut gallery would essentially make it look like a Fender of some sort. That's really not my intention. If I wanted something that looked like a Fender, there are much easier ways to get it with a lot less work. :mrgreen:
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

White or very pale off-white would look good with the back bits, but what about burgundy? Or maybe an approximation of the DCM that was COY a while back? Or you could do black on black with reverse checker binding (black on the outside like that beautiful bass that Paul posted a few days back). If you want to get a bit crazy, what about a dark orange?
If it is to be, it is up to me.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

analogpackrat wrote:...what about a dark orange?
That would only work if Todd had one of these in his driveway:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Bright pearl white with black trim and binding and the bubinga fingerboard looks really hot! The white photoshop pic was killer Todd. Nice work on the body shapes.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Regardless of the color you choose, it's a sweet looking design you've come up with. I can't wait to see the final version. White is safe and it does stand out on stage. I like Jetglo but I've always wondered it it would visually get lost on a dark stage without binding.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

IHeartRics wrote:I like Jetglo but I've always wondered it it would visually get lost on a dark stage without binding.
My feeling exactly.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:No offense, I would ditch the black guards for a gold or white one. :mrgreen:
Stop throwing your food around! :twisted:

White looks great, and goes well with the T-Bird. 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

bitzerguy wrote:Bright pearl white with black trim and binding and the bubinga fingerboard looks really hot! The white photoshop pic was killer Todd. Nice work on the body shapes.
+1.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Got the binding on today and it's looking good. The red and white pigments arrived yesterday and I made a couple samples on scrap maple. Both are quite nice. I'm still waiting on the mini-metalflakes for the red and the pearl powder for the white before the final tests and decision are made. I'm leaning toward the white, unless the red metalflake just knocks my sox off (I would also obviously have to figure in the cost of a matching vintage Kustom amp if I go with the red flake). Still a fair bit of sanding and sealing to do, but it's getting closer to the paint stage.

I noticed that the poles on the modern high gain are a little bit farther apart than those on the original plastic-topped neck pickup. I don't know about the bridge pickup as it was gone when I bought the guitar. I may eventually chop off the buttons on the two high-gains I have and stick toaster covers on them anyway, but in the mean time I managed to peel the plastic cover off of the original neck pickup, grind the bobbin down just a bit, add a grounding lug and fit it into a modern, metal high-gain cover. It looks an awful lot better than that dirty old plastic cover did.

The other body I built (sort of 350 shape from figured maple and bubinga) is varnished and has to dry for about a week before I can finish sand and polish it. It's an awfully nice bit of wood, but I tend to favor the shape of this re-worked original body. It will be a tough choice when they're both done. Anybody got a spare neck sitting around in their parts box? Maybe I should contact our good buddy at Gibson Dependable and have him destroy a perfectly good 430 for me..... :shock:
Attachments
430-l-003a.jpg
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

teb wrote:Maybe I should contact our good buddy at Gibson Dependable and have him destroy a perfectly good 430 for me..... :shock:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Black binding - good choice!
8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”