More 430 Hijinks.....

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teb
Advanced Member

Re: More 430 Hijinks.....

Post by teb »

Somehow, I've just never been into green or blue guitars, but here are a couple samples. It would help if I wasn't too lazy to draw the binding in, but that would be more tedious than binding the real guitar.

I also took another shot at free-handing a burst in Photoshop and it came out better and only semi-clown-glow, but kind of lost the edges and again could use the binding.
Attachments
430-j-001az-turq.jpg
430-j-001afg.jpg
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I love the body on the bottom especially with binding and the 381ish pickguard. Blueboy is my vote :mrgreen:
IMO you should make a combo 800. Sweet!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I think it may look good in butterscotch (like a '50s Tele). I do like the body shape Todd.
"The best things in life aren't things."
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I also vote Butterscotch. Natural would look good, too. A bright color (except white) or burst of any kind doesn't look right to me.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Sorry, but contrary to popular opinion, I've never been fond of either butterscotch ot Blueboy guitars. I had to order color last night and will experiment with a red Micro-flake and a pearl white to see what they look like on scrap wood. This body has too many fills for a clear finish, including a factory fill in the middle of the back. It was originally Jetglow so it didn't matter, and even so, it's a surprisingly decent hunk of wood, but I think solid is the way to go.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teb wrote:..... I've never been fond of either butterscotch ot Blueboy guitars.
Same here.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:
teb wrote:..... I've never been fond of either butterscotch ot Blueboy guitars.
Same here.
I don't really like blonde, but blueboy is the tops :mrgreen:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Go with RED! :D 8)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

My aversion to Blueboy goes way back to the mid sixties when I was in junior high in Champaign, Illinois. Every Saturday, standard procedure was to walk or ride the bus downtown and visit all the music stores. We would start at Emerson's, move on to CV LLoyds, then The House of Baldwin, Kauffmann Music, Curly's Pawn Shop and sometimes Sears. I'm sure we were probably tremendously annoying to the guys who ran the stores, but at least we weren't trying to steal anything and just wanted to try as many guitars as possible. Knowing full well that we didn't have any money, they were pretty selective about what they would, or would not, let us play. Most of the time, the high-end guitars were off limits and we were only allowed to play the Fender Mustangs, Kalamazoos and once in a while an Epiphone or Hagstrom. These Mustangs and Kalamazoos always seemed to be the ugly powder blue ones and our dislike for them slowly grew like an ugly wart on our souls. Powder blue guitars became the ones that you DID NOT want to play. Little did these retailers know that they were doing permanent psychological damage to young developing minds, but to this day I have no desire to ever own or even play another powder blue guitar.

I was thinking about my first band the other day. We were so broke that we made our own PA columns - four 10" cheap speakers, no backs on the cabinets, electrical cord for speaker wire and the plugs on their ends were 110 volt electrical plugs from the hardware store. When we broke up the band, we plugged them into the wall in the drummer's basement to see what would happen. It was interesting until the fuse blew..... We were making about $10 each when we played gigs and our rhythm guitarist didn't have an amp. He usually had to rent one, which cost about $15. Ahh....the good old days.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

ken_j wrote:I think it may look good in butterscotch (like a '50s Tele). I do like the body shape Todd.
Not quite butterscotch, but how about a solid color of that creme yellow that was on old classic Corvettes? That would look good with the black and chrome, like the tires and interior and well as the trim of an old 'vette Stingray. 8)
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

How about Harngelb!
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Unfortunately, I already cut most of the harns off of the body..... :mrgreen:

Harngelb is tasty though....in a putrid, yucky, make-you-wanna-puke sort of way. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any harngelb pigment in the Stu-Mac website, so I had to settle for red or white for my color experiments.
Attachments
harngelb.jpg
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

teb wrote:Unfortunately, I already cut most of the harns off of the body..... :mrgreen:

Harngelb is tasty though....in a putrid, yucky, make-you-wanna-puke sort of way. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any harngelb pigment in the Stu-Mac website, so I had to settle for red or white for my color experiments.
Antigua?
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

teb wrote:Unfortunately, I already cut most of the harns off of the body..... :mrgreen:

Well, that's close to what I was thinking with the creme yellow Corvette idea, but needs to be more light and white in shade.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Nope, it will be red or white depending on the test panels. Since a mixture of the two would make pink, that's not very likely.... I do have some transtint colors though, so there might be room to modify the red a bit if desired. On the other body with the flamed top I got too carried away with the amber tint and when I peeled the masking tape off of the sides and back, the top almost looked like transparent harngelb and was seriously hideous. So last night, I sanded about 15 layers of varnish off the top and I'm re-spraying it with clear. If it gets any amber, it will just be a drop or two. Live and learn.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”