RRF Moderator

Re: Kramer aluminum neck basses

Post by kiramdear »

Better to know this Luca.

All I wanna do is rock!
GIBrat51

Post by GIBrat51 »

Just found this thread today. How are you enjoying your Kramer? I have the next model up, a '78 lefty 450B, which is essentially the same as yours, but with 2 pickups. Part of the charm of vintage Kramers is that not much is really certain or well documented. Within model lines, there were constant changes and exceptions; no two ever seem to be quite the same. If your pickup has a large chrome cover with "Kramer" on it, it is PROBABLY a Mighty Mite single coil, but no one can say for sure. Mine are in perfect condition (got it from the original owner); they are definitely singles, very hot, and extremely loud! And, with the aluminum neck, will sustain for as long as you can stand it. JPS is correct about the history regarding Kramer and Bean; Kramer wanted to make a high quality production guitar, while Bean wanted custom. For their time, these were very high quality, with top notch components and exotic wood laminated bodies. The fretboard, by the way, is made of Ebanol, the same stuff that Ebonite bowling balls were made of. Interesting instruments. I'm always looking for them, but like most things, lefty Kramers are scarce, and expensive when found. Enjoy yours; I love mine!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I believe Jeff sold his - did the weight get to ya Jeff?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yes, I sold the 350B last Summer. The weight wasn't 'too bad as I was switching between basses during a set, I just wanted to sell it as I wasn't playing my 4001 as much anymore! :lol:

I was also thinking of doing some mods to it but given that the 350B was probably among the first ever made I decided not to make any changes to it.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”