Gibson raided, AGAIN

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Re: Gibson raided, AGAIN

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

IvanMunoz wrote: Did the teacher also ask you how come Gibson mutated into Rickenbacker in the course of paper? :P

Where did the money to buy the Gibson with come from to start with? :twisted: :lol:
Probably the money the government gets from their own drug tra... Oops. :lol:

Well, the money used to buy a Gibson would also "stimulate" the economy if it was used for groceries, books, clothes, Squiers ( :lol: ), and other goods.[/quote]
They were involved in a lot more that one would think (if you get what I mean), and then we get the whole propganda speal, its like 1984! I think free speach will be taken away soon.[/quote]
Facebook is removing pictures of the Wall Street protests. There's one liberty taken. :lol:

Well, we've never had total freedom of speech. I wouldn't walk up to a politician and show him examples of how he is corrupt and not expect some form of repercussion (anything from me getting roughed up to lead to my face).

In Gibson's position, they can't do much of anything but complain to the media.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

IvanMunoz wrote:They were involved in a lot more that one would think (if you get what I mean), and then we get the whole propganda speal, its like 1984! I think free speach will be taken away soon.
That already only still exists for the people with power and money, which tend to be the same people anyway. Normal people get fired for having an opinion. Having an opinion is not a valid reason for firing someone, yet the courts do not protect people having opinions.

Okay, that might be considered political and thus against forum rules. Woops...

I've never read 1984, never seen the movie either.

Gibson will be coming with some new models featuring fingerboards using different materials other companies like Martin already have used. Just to bridge the gap until we get the new rosewood in. Either that new rosewood gets seized and Gibson has to stick to making models with different material fingerboards, or these models will be very limited and collectable. Positive is the fact Gibson is looking at a broader range of good soundwoods. It might be that if this all blows over you'll see some Gibsons in materials Gibson hasn't used before, but are used a lot by little luthiers for custom build items. There are a lot of possibilities that have opened now. The company got a bit stuck in the back has to be mahogany, neck mahogany or maple, fingerboard rosewood or ebony state of mind, with few to no deviations. Innovation isn't limited to putting Optimus Prime inside a guitar...
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Wildberry wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:They were involved in a lot more that one would think (if you get what I mean), and then we get the whole propganda speal, its like 1984! I think free speach will be taken away soon.
That already only still exists for the people with power and money, which tend to be the same people anyway. Normal people get fired for having an opinion. Having an opinion is not a valid reason for firing someone, yet the courts do not protect people having opinions.

Okay, that might be considered political and thus against forum rules. Woops...

I've never read 1984, never seen the movie either.

Gibson will be coming with some new models featuring fingerboards using different materials other companies like Martin already have used. Just to bridge the gap until we get the new rosewood in. Either that new rosewood gets seized and Gibson has to stick to making models with different material fingerboards, or these models will be very limited and collectable. Positive is the fact Gibson is looking at a broader range of good soundwoods. It might be that if this all blows over you'll see some Gibsons in materials Gibson hasn't used before, but are used a lot by little luthiers for custom build items. There are a lot of possibilities that have opened now. The company got a bit stuck in the back has to be mahogany, neck mahogany or maple, fingerboard rosewood or ebony state of mind, with few to no deviations. Innovation isn't limited to putting Optimus Prime inside a guitar...
Theres a movie?
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

IvanMunoz wrote:Theres a movie?
Sure, from long before both of us were born: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048918/
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

Two 1984 movies... Plus the brilliant Dead Kennedys' "California Uber Allies" mentions it during the bridge.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:Two 1984 movies... Plus the brilliant Dead Kennedys' "California Uber Allies" mentions it during the bridge.
I remember that song from when I used to play Tony Hawks American Wasteland! :lol:
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

8mileshigher

Gibson raided, AGAIN

Post by 8mileshigher »

An update on the Gibson raid story from 2011 from The Journal of Commerce Online:

Aug 6, 2012 4:30PM GMT
Company to pay fines for importing exotic woods
Joseph Bonney, Senior Editor
Source: The Journal of Commerce Online

Gibson Guitar Co. agreed to pay a total of $350,000 to resolve a federal criminal investigation of allegations the company violated the Lacey Act by illegally purchasing and importing exotic wood species.
The Gibson prosecution drew wide attention among wood importers. It gave impetus to congressional bills seeking reforms to protect importers from what lawmakers said were unintended consequences of current language in the Lacey Act.
The Lacey Act, enacted in 1900 to curb shipments of endangered animal species, was amended in 2008 to include all plants and plant products. The amendments also required companies to certify that they hadn’t violated laws of exporting nations.
Federal agents raided Gibson’s factories in Nashville and Memphis in 2009 and 2011, claiming the guitar maker had illegally purchased and imported ebony wood from Madagascar and rosewood and ebony from India.
Gibson agreed to a settlement that includes a $300,000 fine and a $50,000 community service payment to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation for protection of protected wood species used in musical instruments. Gibson also will withdraw its claims to wood seized in the investigation, including ebony with a total invoice value of $261,844.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Gibson's official press release on the topic:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/F ... lemen.aspx

Got to love the picture with "fret" on it :lol:

Return to “News At 11”