Questions on visiting the UK (and France)

Reports from the United Kingdom
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Questions on visiting the UK (and France)

Post by jdogric12 »

Hello there mates.

So my wife and I are thinking of visiting the UK and France for a couple of weeks about this time next year. We'd like to get to London (of course), Glasgow (despite the fact that Scotty lives there, we'll just have to deal with that), Paris, and Avignon.

The title of this thread is "questions..." but I don't even know what to start by asking.... let's see...

Is it best to travel by rail?

Which city should we fly in and out of?

We should tell people we're Canadian, right? :lol: :shock:

How much will a week's worth of groceries cost?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Questions on visiting the UK (and France)

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:We'd like to get to London (of course), Glasgow (despite the fact that Scotty lives there, we'll just have to deal with that), Paris, and Avignon.
Just don't tell him your going. :wink: :mrgreen:
scotty

Post by scotty »

WWWWaaahahahahhahahahhaah evil laugh......Fly into Glasgow then travel South through England by train then through to France. In-between all that bring a 366 :wink:
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

jdogric12 wrote:We should tell people we're Canadian, right? :lol: :shock:
No, Hungarian. Remember to bring your "Hungarian Phrasebook".

"My hovercraft is full of eels"

:mrgreen:
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Strangely, Scotty's travel suggestion actually makes sense from a convenience point of view - fly into Glasgow - train to London, train to Paris, train to Avignon (TGV), then back to Paris and fly back to the US. It probably is the most economical arrangement as well, but you'll need to check that...

Rail travel between London and Paris and within France is definitely the way to go - within the UK it's a tougher call, but still probably the best bet. Driving in London or Paris is purely for locals and masochists (often indistinguishable).

I'm out of touch with grocery prices - but my memory is that groceries in London and Paris will cost you both arms, a leg and several internal organs. As an example, our weekly grocery bill in the UK in pounds was the same as our weekly grocery bill in Aussie dollars when we moved back home - and at the time there were three Aussie dollars to the pound! Prices may have moderated with the current economic climate.

For your sojourn across the channel, try to have a few French phrases ready - no self respecting French man or woman will admit to speaking English at first approach, even if they are reading the UK Financial Times at the time. A few halting words of pseudo-French will get them out of their shell, provided you haven't accidentally made a disparaging comment about their parentage or anything French. The problem with saying you are Canadian in this context is that they will expect you to be bilingual - and your cover will be quickly blown if your French isn't up to scratch!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

antipodean wrote:Driving in London ... is purely for locals and masochists (often indistinguishable).
Isn't that what Graham's for? :wink:
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Exactly!

My only advice........is bring a shed load of money, Europe ain't cheap! :wink:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

LOL, thanks everyone!

Yes, we plan to spend the next 12 months learning enough French to get by, and then some, hopefully. My mom has been to France a couple times and gave me the whole rundown on how to act and whatnot.
scotty

Post by scotty »

8mileshigh wrote:Exactly!

+366 :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

scotty wrote:
8mileshigh wrote:Exactly!

+366 :mrgreen:
Scotty, you had your chance to acquire it recently when Jason had it up for grabs.....couldn't you talk the Mrs. into it?
scotty

Post by scotty »

couldnt afford it as i was in the middle of a expensive move at the time but maybe Jason could ditch the Mrs and put the guitar in her seat :wink:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Um.... no. :lol:

The 366 is officially "on hold" for a certain fella who shares a name with his home country! 8)
scotty

Post by scotty »

:mrgreen:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I was in London for just over a week. I bought a pass for the Tube that made getting around cheaper, but it all depends on where you're staying.

If you or the missus wear shorts in London, everyone will know you're tourists.

Make sure to try some Black Pudding, preferably when you're out with Graham. . . and after he's had a few. ;)

You've already met Scott in person, so I don't need to warn you about the 2 minute time lag after initiating conversation that your brain will need to adjust to "Northern" . . . or at least that's how long it takes me. . . when we chat by video. .. of course that might also be because it's usually 6:30 am in my time zone. . . :lol:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”