My very first Rick...

Capturing Guitar images
k43rover
Intermediate Member

My very first Rick...

Post by k43rover »

They say the past is a foreign land...sure feels that way looking back now.

I came across these shots of my very first Rick is in an old '80's photo album I was showing the kids.

The guitar was only about 18 months old when i bought it - that would have been around 1988 time. It was my pride and joy. Unfortunately I only had it a few months when it was stolen.... Very sobering to think that this guitar would now be verging on "vintage" status. I suspect that wherever it is today, it will probably have aged a good deal better than me - I certainly hope so!
Attachments
Eds First Rick compress.jpg
godber
Advanced Member

Re: My very first Rick...

Post by godber »

Cool find Eddie.

The trouble with collecting Rickenbackers is like a reverse of A Picture of Dorian Gray, the Rickenbackers in the loft are getting better looking while I'm the one showing the cracks.

I wonder who has that Mapleglo 330 now...or this JG with me from 1988?

k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

godber wrote:The trouble with collecting Rickenbackers is like a reverse of A Picture of Dorian Gray, the Rickenbackers in the loft are getting better looking while I'm the one showing the cracks.
...sad, but probably true for most of us :lol:

It would be interesting to know what happened to that guitar. Unfortunately I didn't take a note of the serial number so I'll never know. Whenever a mid/late '80's one pops up on UK eBay in this spec I often wonder whether it's my old one...if I had kept the serial I would definitely be looking to buy it back for sentimental reasons if it ever surfaced...

BTW nice atmospheric '80's B&W shot there...you must have had a much better camera than I did back in those days (I think mine was a cheapo Fuji)!

Hopefully a few more (pre-digital) forumites will "show us theirs" now! (scanners to the ready!!) :D
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Cheers, an ex-girlfriend at the time was a bit handy with a camera.

I've still got the shirt (and it fits!) - sentimental reasoning - and thought that a "My Before And After" thread might be cool, until I saw the after :lol: Lots of forum members have been playing Rickenbackers for decades and I always love the vintage photos they publish, they just have a really nice vibe about them 8)

Mapleglo is a really individual finish, do you think that you would recognise the grain of the 330 if it showed up for sale?
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

godber wrote:Cheers, an ex-girlfriend at the time was a bit handy with a camera.

I've still got the shirt (and it fits!) - sentimental reasoning - and thought that a "My Before And After" thread might be cool, until I saw the after :lol: Lots of forum members have been playing Rickenbackers for decades and I always love the vintage photos they publish, they just have a really nice vibe about them 8)

Mapleglo is a really individual finish, do you think that you would recognise the grain of the 330 if it showed up for sale?

I am mightily impressed that your shirt still fits!! I suspect I would have outgrown the Wales rugby shirt pictured within maximum 5 years of this shot being taken!!

Unfortunately I can't remember much about the details of the finish on the 330. For sure there would not have been many guitars sold in this spec at that time in the UK. Come to think of it, there would have been very few Ricks sold of any spec at that time in the UK. As you'll recall, this was the late '80's when the Jam were no longer around and the Beatles/'60's music in general was not at all fashionable - so I am guessing demand for new Ricks would have been extremely low. As always in the UK, prices of new Ricks was very high. I recall I paid something just over £500 for that 330 and I think the new price then was over £800. That was a lot of dosh for me in those days so I was mortified when it was stolen; luckily, however, it was stolen out of my girlfriend's flat and she had insurance which paid out on it - or else I would have been right up the creek....
scotty

Post by scotty »

godber wrote:
I've still got the shirt (and it fits!)
Show off :lol:
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

scotty wrote:
godber wrote:
Aye, and he's still got that couch and carpet. :twisted: :lol:
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

FIREGLO67 wrote:
scotty wrote:
godber wrote:

:lol: ...you're right, waste not want not! I'm looking for a nice '80's stylee matching brown Rick to go with it.....maybe this is the one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-40 ... 256787d190
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

FIREGLO67 wrote:
scotty wrote:
godber wrote:
Nah, 'twas rented living, the couch and carpet eventually got up and walked out by themselves :wink:
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

...in the spirit of revisiting my youth my new Rick has arrived - matches the sofa and carpet perfectly (BTW the Antiques Roadshow evaluator said I should have these '80's modern classics insured for $25,000......I don't plan on them catching fire but you never know :twisted: ).

Remember...BROWN is the new BLACK. 8)
Attachments
back to the eighties 4.jpg

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”