An interesting 330 - what's up with the sticker on the head?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gibsonlp
Technical Admin

An interesting 330 - what's up with the sticker on the head?

Post by gibsonlp »

Hi guys.
There was an interesting registration in the register a few days ago - a 4 digits 330 that was registered with only 4 digits.
I contacted the owner to ask for the rest and he said that that's it, all he has a a "model 330" sticker with those 4 digits. I asked for more pics and it is indeed the situation, including a blank jackplate.
I already saw this thread - viewtopic.php?f=68&t=401358&hilit=prototype+330. Does it make sense to anyone? it looks like a mid 60s 330 to me and the owner probably dated it to a 65 using the pots but it does not make sense that it is a prototype since I see a 61 330 registration as well...
Images for this guitar: http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n49 ... Mod%20330/
I was sent the jackplate image separately.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: An interesting 330 - what's up with the sticker on the head?

Post by libratune »

This guitar is also on the Register with a partial serial no. (1965 = E) EX 1510: http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... p?id=20701

John Hall stated in one of the threads cited that he had seen these before but didn't know the significance of the sticker.

I doubt this was a prototype. Though pre-1965 330s are scarce(there is one from 1961), the 330 is the same build as a 1997 Rose Morris, many of which were produced in 1964. So what's there to protoype?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ron, these are different instruments one Mapleglo and one Fireglo. Also the serial numbers or sticker numbers are different.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

A much cleaner sticker on the FG than the one on the MG. What's the chance of two popping up so close to eachother in time, eh?
The pictures of the FG show the sticker is under the clear lacquer.

Let's assume this is a prototype for a 330.
When again did they change the 330 shape to the bigger horns?
Is the R-tailpaice original on these sticker models, or did they maybe have a trapeze before? Did anyone ask?
Any pictures of the control cavities, so we can see the pots and cavity markings, if any?

Anyway, the boring possibility: this was probably just a test to see if an s/n sticker would be easier, faster and more cost effective, than the jackplate engraved s/n. To me that would make more sense than some wild ideas about prototypes, or custom builds.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The serial number system was clearly in place by 1961. For these two stickered serial instruments the features appear to be consistent with an instrument from the mid 1960s and not from a prototype 330. It is time to check under the hood.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

admin wrote:The serial number system was clearly in place by 1961 (...) an instrument from the mid 1960s and not from a prototype 330
Peter, your statement is not logically exclusive on two points, to start with the last bit:

- the 330 body shape was changed from the elongated with smaller horns to the one with bigger horns. They probably did a few try-outs of the renewed 330 at one point or another in early to mid 60s which can be described as prototypes. which brings us to the second point:
- if the serial number was in place by 1961 then both stickered models can be from that year, don't have to be from mid 60s. Why? R-tailpieces can have been added later, electronics can have been changed to include 5th, blender control, the knobs themselves can easily be changed as well.

A good example of a guitar that got changed in-house before eventually being sold was the 325, like John Lennon's.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Werner: Excellent points and I hope that this discussion and a careful look at the electronics will provide us with the information we need to unlock this mystery. This is pure speculation on my part and my "spidey sense" has certainly led me astray before. I hope the owners of these instruments will add more historical information that will be fruitful. There is nothing so intriguing as a Rickenbacker mystery.

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Peter, I hope we can find some sort of answer in this case. I'm always interested by things that are just not the regular.

The stickers have a shape similar to the headstock, which to me points at the fact it was not just done like that. They had the stickers specificially made for this purpose, so must have made a decision to use them instead of engraving the jackplate. Question then still remains why they did it: for use on prototypes, demonstration model, or test to see if it would speed up manufacturing/cut costs?

The MG has more than just the s/n - are the extra characters maybe scratched into the lacquer?

As Gil wrote the owner put the FG in the register, so I assume the owner's a RRF member - or can non-members add instruments as well?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Werner: Non-members can and do add instruments to the Register. Non-owners who are members also enter data with CI (Collected Information) being indicated.

Woodie

Post by Woodie »

About 8 years ago, I had an early '65 365 NS in fireglo with the same sticker. It said "Model 365' and a four digit number which did not match the jackplate. It had the darker fireglow common in that era, but was relatively unremarkable in all respects save for the Van Ghent tuners used sporadically around that time. I made several calls to the factory, but no one could recall what the sticker was for. Consulted with JW and several other old-time Rick collectors and we just figured it was an anomaly. John may even have some of the pictures I sent him. But protoype? I think not...
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Wildberry wrote:Anyway, the boring possibility: this was probably just a test to see if an s/n sticker would be easier, faster and more cost effective, than the jackplate engraved s/n. To me that would make more sense than some wild ideas about prototypes, or custom builds.
This is pretty close to my recollection. I remember that the company bought a raft of those then new-fangled IBM Selectric typewriters, the ones with the type ball, and foil labels that those could emboss were used for all sorts of things around the shop.
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

Aha! Interesting sticker! Compare the 330's sticker with the one on the inside wooden base of my Transonic 220 head.
Attachments
2011-8-1766Rick330ser4501005.jpg
TransonicHeadserno.jpg
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Interesting, from what year is your amp? Is it marked in any other way, or just the sticker?
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

fabandgear wrote:Aha! Interesting sticker! Compare the 330's sticker with the one on the inside wooden base of my Transonic 220 head.
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I have the same cutoff portion on my Transonics as well.
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

Wildberry wrote:Interesting, from what year is your amp? Is it marked in any other way, or just the sticker?
I'm thinking 1968. Other than this small sticker and it's control panel, there are no other markings.
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”