The Byrdbox Is History

Those who flock to The Byrds
drumbob
RRF Consultant

The Byrdbox Is History

Post by drumbob »

Apparently, the Byrdbox compressor has been discontinued, not that I'm surprised. We discussed this stompbox extensively almost two years ago. I just sold mine on eBay and it went immediately. It's going to a guy in Little Rock, Arkansas. May he enjoy it. I could never bond with it, even though I got it at no charge. I tried.

I'll stick with my Janglebox, thank you.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: The Byrdbox Is History

Post by jimk »

Some how or another, (I can't say why, exactly) I'm not too surprised that a) it has been discontinued, and b) that you never really bonded with it as you say. I've had the sense that between the Jangle Boxes, the MXR Dynacomp, the Keeley, the Diamond, and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten out there, the market for compressors/sustainers is pretty well sewed up.
JimK
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

jimk wrote:Some how or another, (I can't say why, exactly) I'm not too surprised that a) it has been discontinued, and b) that you never really bonded with it as you say. I've had the sense that between the Jangle Boxes, the MXR Dynacomp, the Keeley, the Diamond, and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten out there, the market for compressors/sustainers is pretty well sewed up.
JimK
Hi gents.....G from Studio Z here.....don't forget the Milk Box.....

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10724115
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
stsang

Post by stsang »

vynesmusic wrote:
jimk wrote:Some how or another, (I can't say why, exactly) I'm not too surprised that a) it has been discontinued, and b) that you never really bonded with it as you say. I've had the sense that between the Jangle Boxes, the MXR Dynacomp, the Keeley, the Diamond, and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten out there, the market for compressors/sustainers is pretty well sewed up.
JimK
Hi gents.....G from Studio Z here.....don't forget the Milk Box.....
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10724115
That sounds great (one of my fave Byrds songs)! Thanks for posting. Back onto this thread's subject... I'm starting to realize that any half decent compressor gets the job done with a Ric. I have the original Janglebox, a super cheap Behringer compressor pedal and a Pod HD with a variety of compressor models. They all sound good! (though the Behringer is a bit noisy) For me, what makes the Janglebox stand out a little is the "Bright" switch. Turning that on really lifts the overall sound and sounds good DI'd. I guess in the later JB models, the JangleBoost/JangleTone provide even more tonal flexibility"?
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I'll limit my comments to the JB-2. What you have here is a box that when it's turned on, you have two controls that can be activated; bass and treble (excluding the volume and gain controls for the moment.) When you step on the jangle boost switch, it's like putting the pedal into overdrive, except that the tone controls are now over ridden. The jangle boost also has its own separate gain control, which to my way of thinking acts like the bright switch on the original JB.

OK.....I'm starting to get out of my element here. This is the best I can to about discussing electronics. If it's more sophisticated than three chords and The Truth, I'm lost.
JimK

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”