Hi-gain covers?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

The Mod Lang

Hi-gain covers?

Post by The Mod Lang »

Are there any hi-gain covers to make them look like toasters? Love the hi-gain sound, but the look....eh, not so much
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Hi-gain covers?

Post by Folkie »

Yes, there are. Try Chris Clayton at Pick of the Ricks.
collin

Post by collin »

Or try Mike Parts at the Rickenbacker page (http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm )

$25 apiece, you'll have to replace the threaded button tops (with an allen key) and replace the poles with flat-headed screws with the same thread pitch to fit the covers on. Search the forum, there are many topic threads about it.
The Mod Lang

Post by The Mod Lang »

...and btw, what exactly are the poles? Can I really just replace them with the same size screw?
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

The way pickups work is that the movement of the metal strings in the magnetic field from the pickup magnets distorts the "magnetic flux" through the pickup coil, which in turn produces an electric current. The pole pieces change the shape of the magnetic field, and thus affect the change in flux caused by the movement of the strings, which changes the resulting current and, ultimately, the tone of the p/u. So replacing the adjustable pole pieces with flush-mounted screws can at least in theory affect the sound of your pickups. Having never tried this on my Hi-Gains, though, I can't say how much difference it makes in practice.
collin

Post by collin »

The Mod Lang wrote:...and btw, what exactly are the poles? Can I really just replace them with the same size screw?
They are the steel poles in you pickup --- yes, a screw works the same.
The Mod Lang

Post by The Mod Lang »

All done!
Attachments
388763_2164982123678_1891503264_n.jpg
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

collin wrote:
The Mod Lang wrote:...and btw, what exactly are the poles? Can I really just replace them with the same size screw?
They are the steel poles in you pickup --- yes, a screw works the same.
Use stainless or brass machine screws and see what happens.

FYI, our parts are very low carbon, non-heat treated steel, as poor as could be for screws, but as close to iron as you can get, and perfect for pole pieces.
8mileshigher

Hi-gain covers?

Post by 8mileshigher »

Mod Lang
Your Toasterized High Gains look real good !!
Bet they sound better too, just from the coolness factor !!! 8) :D
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

John, I'm guessing using brass or stainless screws would result in poor string response, but the odd thing is, I've found the pickups to work without any poles in them at all.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Poles don't just shape the magnetic field and affect "string response." They form the magnetic core of the inductor that is the pickup. With no poles you've basically got an air core inductor which has much lower inductance than one with an iron/magnet core. Lower inductance = reduced bass response. I would imagine that even replacing the button top poles with low carbon steel screws will lower the inductance because you've reduced the permeability of the core by reducing the mass (assuming similar material properties between the original poles and the screws). There is a lot more going on, but it gets deep fast...
If it is to be, it is up to me.
The Mod Lang

Post by The Mod Lang »

analogpackrat wrote:Poles don't just shape the magnetic field and affect "string response." They form the magnetic core of the inductor that is the pickup. With no poles you've basically got an air core inductor which has much lower inductance than one with an iron/magnet core. Lower inductance = reduced bass response. I would imagine that even replacing the button top poles with low carbon steel screws will lower the inductance because you've reduced the permeability of the core by reducing the mass (assuming similar material properties between the original poles and the screws). There is a lot more going on, but it gets deep fast...
I used set screws on mine. The size was sort of hard to find, but after poking around a bit, it was a pretty easy mod.
BILLYC58

Post by BILLYC58 »

Does this mod affect the sound of the pickups I might consider doing this to my rics ?
The Mod Lang

Post by The Mod Lang »

BILLYC58 wrote:Does this mod affect the sound of the pickups I might consider doing this to my rics ?
My mod just made the pickups sound thinner and more trebly, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Even so, the difference is negligible and could probably be mitigated by buying nicer screws.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”