480 or 481 in Scotland?

Reports from the United Kingdom
Fretjob

480 or 481 in Scotland?

Post by Fretjob »

Does anyone in the UK, particularly Scotland (Glasgow,Aberdeen) have a 480 or 481 that i could have a shot of?

I've been looking at these things for the past 9 months and believe i'd like one, but as well as trying to find one with a price and colour i like, i've been hesitant to jump in in case i didn't like it. I'm also unsure whether i'd prefer the 480 or 481?

I'm no guitar player, bass is my bag, this would be my only guitar and used for bedroom concerts (well actually it would be spare room, i'd doubt the missus would be impressed with a concert in the bedroom :)) and wall candy.

No rush on this, i travel up and down from Glasgow to Aberdeen once a month or so and hoped that someone might be able to oblige me. You'r guaranteed a pint :)
scotty

Re: 480 or 481 in Scotland?

Post by scotty »

Sorry cant help you out Bill
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Fretjob

Post by Fretjob »

Hotzenplotz wrote:What about this?:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickenbacker- ... 500wt_1162
It's a nice one, and currently at what i would consider a reasonable price. In fact it's what finally prompted me to make this thread. MG wouldn't be my first pick, but the black pickguard and TRC make it look a little special and a bit more eye catching imo. Final catch is it's pickup only and i'm reticent to jump in unless i'd tried one.

There's a guy in Glasgow selling them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1980- ... 1359wt_951, but he's pushing the price a bit for my liking. Plus believe he purchased it 3 months ago for around £850 from ebay. He also occasionally punts a Azure 481 that he's being trying to shift for over a year at £2500.
redamber

Post by redamber »

Hi Bill.

I think you were wise to give that recent 1974 Ric 480 on eBay a wide berth. Apart from the damaged jack input plate (how could that have happened, without the body also being affected?), the fact that the pickguard and TRC were in black, whilst the tuners and tailpiece are in chrome undermines the provenance of the guitar and certainly makes it less valuable to any collector - not least because I understand that black hardware is no longer available from the Rickenbacker Corporation.

I can appreciate why a 481 model would be more appealing due to its rarity, but expect to pay about £2,250 - £2,500 for a good one in the UK (if you can find one). The Azureglo one you mentioned is not worth half that, given the dodgy condition.

I have a Mapleglo 480, which may become surplus to requirements in the near future, if you are still interested. I live in Northern Ireland, which is just across the pond from you, so it may be possible to arrange for you to see it. Let me know if you still have an interest. Jim
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

redamber wrote:the fact that the pickguard and TRC were in black, whilst the tuners and tailpiece are in chrome undermines the provenance of the guitar and certainly makes it less valuable to any collector
These guitars were never offered with black hardware, only with a black TRC/pickguard combo.(w/ black body binding if its a 481) That configuration is stock from the factory.
It is much less common and therefore more rare than standard models.
redamber

Post by redamber »

Thanks for the clarification, Erik. I am happy to acknowledge your correction, even though my own 480 is suddenly not as rare as I had thought.
Last edited by redamber on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fretjob

Post by Fretjob »

redamber wrote:Hi Bill.

I have a Mapleglo 480, which may become surplus to requirements in the near future, if you are still interested. I live in Northern Ireland, which is just across the pond from you, so it may be possible to arrange for you to see it. Let me know if you still have an interest. Jim
Thanks for posting Jim, yes i'm still in the market. Got close again to pulling the trigger in early December, appeared a nice guitar, but again it was a pickup only deal from the Liverpool area and the seller was unwilling to work any other way. Otherwise it would have been a sale.

Right now i'm in watch and wait mode again and with Xmas just past i'm delaying any purchase until March or so. If yours is still available then, i'll definitely give you a shout.

Cheers
Bill
redamber

Post by redamber »

Fretjob wrote: Right now i'm in watch and wait mode again and with Xmas just past i'm delaying any purchase until March or so. If yours is still available then, i'll definitely give you a shout. Cheers Bill
I'm content to leave it that way for now Bill. Meantime, Happy New Year.

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”