When looking for natural finish

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Melma

When looking for natural finish

Post by Melma »

I'm thinking of finding myself a 325 or maybe even a 320 for my next birthday (around February). Thing is, I want the natural look.

In relation to my inborn 'gee I'd like to get it as cheap as possible' mindset, I was thinking of asking y'all - is it even remotely sensible to be thinking it might be cheaper to find one in jetglo and just have it refinished to natural? Is that practical, or would there be a negligible effect on the $?

PS. (No sense warning me off the idea of ruining a guitar by refinishing it, as I never sell guitars, ever. ie. I would be buried with all of them if they could build a coffin big enough.)

Cheers!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: When looking for natural finish

Post by doctorwho »

Scotty, you might want to cross-post this in the Vibrola section as well, being that that's where the 'resident' luthiers hang out, and they would be the experts with regard to the pros and cons of refinishing. I do remember reading that solid-color guitars sometimes are finished that way because of minor 'flaws' in the wood ... but to some, such 'flaws' are inherent part of the beauty of natural wood.

There are Mapleglo 320 series instruments out there, but IMO they are less common. I had a ca. 1980 320 MG some time back that I traded toward some other guitar. I don't know where that instrument is now.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

To a large extent, it depends on what sort of quality you want in the finish. If you want something that's up to RIC factory standards, you're looking at something like $1200 to $1800. That's probably not what most would consider "cheap." And as Gary said, RIC tends to reserve the best looking wood for transparent finishes, but sometimes, some really great wood gets painted over just to keep up with orders, so you never know what you might have under a solid finish...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Melma

Post by Melma »

I see! Yeah, numbers like that would make a proper refinish a last resort then, methinks. Cheers!
remstar

Post by remstar »

The Mapleglo one are especially beautiful. If i ever get one one iim going to the same rout.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

C58's come in mapleglo.
collin

Post by collin »

IvanMunoz wrote:C58's come in mapleglo.

Technically speaking, no. They are made of alder....so alderglo?
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

collin wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:C58's come in mapleglo.

Technically speaking, no. They are made of alder....so alderglo?

wouldn't "natural" be the right nomenclature for all of these guitars regardless of wood used? Inside the cavity the factory regularly marked '60's MapleGlo guitars with "nat" which I assume is "natural" abbreviated?? Suggests the internal factory language for this finish at that time was different from the sales/marketing "-glo" language.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

What about "natureglo" as a general description?
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

That would probably be a green burst. :mrgreen:

Also, good point Collin.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

Hotzenplotz wrote:What about "natureglo" as a general description?

...the perfect guitar finish for naturists everywhere :twisted: ....guaranteed to give you a warm glow!!
remstar

Post by remstar »

I also love that natural finish. If your patient, and wait long enough (which is hard to do with ricks) then eventually youll find it.
Melma

Post by Melma »

I'm saving like a good little boy, and I'll probably be able to put a thread in the Wanted section sooner or later, but I just thought I'd ask casually first:

What's the least I'd be expecting to pay for a natural 325? Bearing in mind that I'm not fussed about cosmetic blemishes or dings, and that simple stuff like changing the tailpiece or tremolo isn't a problem for me?

I understand that maybe the days of getting one for under 2K are probably past, but I'm just trying to avoid the mess that is buying a Rickenbacker in Australia. My local guitar store, for instance, wants 5 grand for a 325. In town, there's a shop that is *seriously* charging 6 and a half thousand dollars for the same model.

I'd kind of like to avoid that.
rickenboy

Post by rickenboy »

V59 mapleglo. it may not have details of an actual C58 but it gets you pretty close. thats why i have mine :D
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

rickenboy wrote:V59 mapleglo. it may not have details of an actual C58 but it gets you pretty close. thats why i have mine :D
They are cheaper as well.
Welcome to the forum BTW. Congrats on being the youngest member now! :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”