Chris with The Syn (2006)

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

Chris with The Syn (2006)

Post by miguelbass »

great performance! I love this album... notice the Electra MPC bass with E string dropped to D :) Nice

Miguel
http://www.miguelbass.com
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: Chris with The Syn (2006)

Post by just_bassics »

That is one CD that really took me by surprise. I liked it all the way through, very nicely arranged throughout, especially the vocals. Very strong output from Chris.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

just_bassics wrote:That is one CD that really took me by surprise. I liked it all the way through, very nicely arranged throughout, especially the vocals. Very strong output from Chris.
Agreed, Jim... and very clever-fortunate choice of the supporting musicians (I mean keys and guitar).

Miguel
www.miguelbass.com
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

This was my favorite track on a great album. I really loved the lead melody on bass on this,something Chris excels at ,of course. And the instrumental part towards the end really reminds me of "lamb" era Genesis,which is always a good thing.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

My favorite is "City of Dreams", such a positive message of hope. I also like the canon vocal intro (Breaking Down Walls) and the "Spaceship liftoff" ending tp The Promise. Paul Stacey, while having no real breakout guitar lines on this CD still has some nice arrangements with vintage tone, brother Jeremy on drums* gets almost Bruford-like under the bass lines in "The Promise". All in all a CD worthy of any Squire - Yes fan.

*I write of the CD tracks, of course, as that is Alan White on the live video.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I saw that tour. :D

Nice to see it from a different perspective, since I spent most of the show by Chris' monitor talking photos.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

A fine CD that many people are unaware of. As always, Chris' vocals are superb. His vocals in Breaking Down Walls are soaring and emotionally charged...kind of reminds me a bit of "Fish Out of Water."
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

just_bassics wrote:My favorite is "City of Dreams", such a positive message of hope. I also like the canon vocal intro (Breaking Down Walls) and the "Spaceship liftoff" ending tp The Promise. Paul Stacey, while having no real breakout guitar lines on this CD still has some nice arrangements with vintage tone, brother Jeremy on drums* gets almost Bruford-like under the bass lines in "The Promise". All in all a CD worthy of any Squire - Yes fan.

*I write of the CD tracks, of course, as that is Alan White on the live video.
Yes, City of Dreams is a wonderful tune. Innovative in many ways, and yes, very positive and uplifting. This CD came along at the most perfect time for me...summer of 2006...I was quite low after many months and one day I felt a subtle shift. When I got home I had a phone call from an old guitarist friend. He told me how he was sending me his new double CD. The second CD was a bonus of material that I had recorded for him back in 1994. It was the first time he ever heard himself recorded. He told me how important that one step was for him; I was honored to hear this. And then I jumped back into the truck to go to my housesitting gig and felt that it was finally time to listen to this SYN CD that I had been sitting on for a few weeks. It was cathartic and motivational. The lyrics in City of Dreams and especially, Breaking Down Walls were very timely ("...you will not be forgotten, your time will come...").

That darn Chris Squire...the man has provided so much wonderful music that has been pivotal for me in many ways, many times...
THANKS CHRIS!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Billsbro wrote:...That darn Chris Squire...the man has provided so much wonderful music that has been pivotal for me in many ways, many times...
THANKS CHRIS!
My sentiments exactly. Yesterday whilst transferring yet another 2000 or so feet of movie film, I treated myself to Fly From Here, Syndestructible and the ABWH CD. While still very good after all these years, Chris's absence on the latter is clear. The "Yes Sound" begins with CS, IMO.

Post by 2112 »

Nice jam from 6:53~9:10.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

here's the other clip available on YT

Miguel
http://www.miguelbass.com
harrek

Post by harrek »

just_bassics wrote:
Billsbro wrote:...That darn Chris Squire...the man has provided so much wonderful music that has been pivotal for me in many ways, many times...
THANKS CHRIS!
My sentiments exactly. Yesterday whilst transferring yet another 2000 or so feet of movie film, I treated myself to Fly From Here, Syndestructible and the ABWH CD. While still very good after all these years, Chris's absence on the latter is clear. The "Yes Sound" begins with CS, IMO.
And it often surprised me how people who might not have seen them live or on video and just heard them don't know how much
Chris' vocals are part of the Yes sound as well (Kinda like Michael Anthony's vocals in Van Halen). Without them it just doesn't
sound like Yes. But often over looked because of his great bass playing.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”