Advanced Member

Re: WORST RELIC OF THE DAY...

Post by Ivan3000 »

Estoy de acuerdo con tigo.
I totally agree with you, mate.
bvstudios

Re: WORST RELIC OF THE DAY... slightly OT

Post by bvstudios »

Of course, things do happen to new instruments, even with the best of intentions (non-guitar content follows)

Back in the late 40's through the 50's, my Dad was a pretty decent Big Band trumpeter, and worked the road shows of some pretty big names regularly here on the wet coast. One such bandleader presented Dad with an elaborate Selmer "presentation model" Bb trumpet after a very successful tour. Apparently, it was quite impressive, silver plated over the brass with 24kt gold plate on the bell, in front of the mouthpiece and on the valve body. I don't know how impressive, because I have never seen it "original".

Y'see, dear ole Dad was proud of that horn, and he kept it polished so that it would never tarnish (no polycoat over the silverplate in those days). But after less than a year of this weekly cleaning, Mom noticed that there was a little less of the gold plate every time Dad took his cloth to it. In fact, by the time the trumpet was less than two years old, it was a plain silver-plated Selmer, with only traces of the gold in the edges of the presentation engravings and absolutely none anywhere else on the instrument! Sixty years before "relic-ing" became popular, my Dad had managed to "relic" his precious horn! Dad did work with that particular bandleader once more before the bandleader stopped touring, and I'd give a month of my pension to know how he explained away what had happened to the Selmer....!

Lesson learned.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: WORST RELIC OF THE DAY...

Post by Ivan3000 »

Good story, I play the French horn, mellophone and trumpet.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”