Thanks JPS

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ricmic

Thanks JPS

Post by ricmic »

I spread the shoes on my 99 V63 RIHS as per your suggestions. Bro. I thank you . It turned out perfect. I took my time, went through it several times until I got just what i wanted. I really like the results. I also want to thank everybody here for all the help and knowledge that I have gained from being a member here. To JPS and all, thanks, and I'll post pics. Mark
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Thanks JPS

Post by jps »

You''re very welcome! :D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Wish that method would work on magnetic shoes.....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:Wish that method would work on magnetic shoes.....
...not recommended! :shock:

The bobbin is shorter on my magnetic HS pickup, and the shoes are thinner so there is considerably more room between the tops of the poles and the bottom of the shoes for height adjustment room. On mine, anyway.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I've got a set that are straight, not much room at all. Someday I'll have Sergio make me a short coil for them.
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

What does that mean.. spreading the shoes? What does it do?
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

The original magnetic ones were flat on the bottom but angled up a bit on the showing side. The RIHS shoes were like a flattened C or in other words both top and bottom were parallel. Jeff came up with a way to spread the RIHS shoes to shape them like the magnetic ones.

magnetic shoes:
68 Horseshoe.jpg
RIHS shoes:
reissue shoes closeup.jpg
ataritoobin

Post by ataritoobin »

Adding another thanks to JPS for the tip - he shared that with me about 5 years ago :) ....and it's still on my list of things to do :oops: :cry:

EDIT: SIX years ago :cry:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

:lol: It's not that hard to do; the hardest part is taking the pickup off the bass. Almost. :wink:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Yeah, I still need to do it to the one on my '04 4003 retro'd bass.....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You probably have time to do it at work. :wink:
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

He's right, there's nothing to it really. It did give me a chance to look around in there. A good reason to just give the bass a good once over. Checked out pots tonight while repositioning them. I wanted the volume knobs closest to the strings, and the tone pots on the other side. I just like them better in that configuration. Found a SVT4PRO [made in USA] for a little over 600.00. Brought it home, happy birthday and happy anniversary to me. The "Problem Child" sounds great through this head. Mark
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

johnallg wrote:The original magnetic ones were flat on the bottom but angled up a bit on the showing side. The RIHS shoes were like a flattened C or in other words both top and bottom were parallel. Jeff came up with a way to spread the RIHS shoes to shape them like the magnetic ones.

magnetic shoes:
68 Horseshoe.jpg
RIHS shoes:
All the recent RIHS ones I've seen (and the two I have), are spread upward. I thought it was the the original magnetic ones that were flat?
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

coolhandjjl wrote:
johnallg wrote:The original magnetic ones were flat on the bottom but angled up a bit on the showing side. The RIHS shoes were like a flattened C or in other words both top and bottom were parallel. Jeff came up with a way to spread the RIHS shoes to shape them like the magnetic ones.

magnetic shoes:
68 Horseshoe.jpg
RIHS shoes:
All the recent RIHS ones I've seen (and the two I have), are spread upward. I thought it was the the original magnetic ones that were flat?
Yes, the latest RIHS shoes are made with the angle up. Most magnetic shoes I've seen are angled up. I have a pair that are not from an unknown year lap steel. It had Rick parts on a homemade bubinga body. Weighs a ton.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”