Least Favorite Bassists

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Re: Least Favorite Bassists

Post by rickyfricky »

rickenbrother wrote:I don't think Gene Simmons was so bad. I enjoy many of his bass lines, playing them are fun. He sang lead and backing vocals and played his bass well at the same time.
And he certainly held down the "business end" side of things amazingly well.

Arguably beyond compare.
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
superdick2112

Post by superdick2112 »

rickenbrother wrote:I don't think Gene Simmons was so bad. I enjoy many of his bass lines, playing them are fun. He sang lead and backing vocals and played his bass well at the same time.
Agreed, and while I've never been a big fan of his playing, he must be doing something right - you'd be hard pressed to name another player who has made more money by playing bass than Gene, with Macca or JPJ being the possible exceptions.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Anyone who can sing and play bass well is alright in my books too Joey.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
mikko

Post by mikko »

Jaco Pastorius (+"treble bass" and slap bass in general.)
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

mikko wrote:and slap bass in general.)
That's a style that gets way overused in my opinion. Every time I go to the bass section of a music store, that's all I hear...who can slap faster with more notes than who! Sounds like some undernourished guy wearing too much bling falling marble stairs. It's even worse at the NAMM show. It's a refreshing change to go to the RIC booth and know I won't have to hear that! I like a little slap bass used sometimes as an accent in a song, not the whole song. I was trying out an amp at the last winter NAMM, playing bass normally. One of the guys who worked the booth came up to me and said, "Nice to hear you play normal bass lines, it's a nice change from all the helicopter bassists we get most of the day!" I thought the "Helicopter bassist" remark aimed at over achieving slap bassists was amusing.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

My least favourite bass players are all those great musicians that make me look like the hack I am....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
s4001

Post by s4001 »

rickenbrother wrote:
It's a refreshing change to go to the RIC booth and know I won't have to hear that!
I guess you haven't been around when I'm there. :lol:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

s4001 wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:
It's a refreshing change to go to the RIC booth and know I won't have to hear that!
I guess you haven't been around when I'm there. :lol:
Yes I have, plenty of times, but you were never plugged into a 500+ watt amp with the tweeter on 11! :P :lol:
winston wrote:Anyone who can sing and play bass well is alright in my books too Joey.
...More in the defense of Gene Simmons. Like what Gene Simmons and KISS and their act are or not, they put over 100% of their effort to put on shows that are sonically and visually fun...and while few of the bands or acts that some of your favorite bassists were playing for were making things difficult for their opening acts, Gene Simmons and KISS were helping many of the new bands that opened for them.
And he has the same last name as John Simmons! :mrgreen:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

i would have to say bassists that i have been disappointed by,from previously hearing other people's buildup/opininon of...the winner would be Les Claypool,but like some others have noted,not so much the bass work (he obviously has skill) but from the music his band(S) produce. just not my cuppa at all. have to say the same about the fleck tones/vic wooten,and MOST jazz rock fusion....however i love stan clarke,alf johnson,and jaco,(i'm not that fond of his work w/ms mitchell,but thats probably because i stopped listening to her when she went in that jazz direction) also i agree that guy in metal-lick-a looks ridiculous....but like most music of that genre,i completely tune out (or off) when i run across it.....i mean if you can't stand the music,you are not gonna listen to what the bass player is doing..... 8)
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

Jaco. I don't get the fascination and i probably never will...

And Gene Simmons.
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

Lemmy - sorry I don't get the music although I'd love to own an LK signiture bass :D
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

winston wrote:
Anyone who can sing and play bass well is alright in my books too Joey.
Amen to that. I didn't like KISS at first when I was a kid because all the stoner kids liked them, and most of those kids came across as idiots to me, but after listening to their songs I thought they had some really cool material, so I was going to like them anyway. ha.

I really appreciate Gene Simmons' intelligence, personality, and business success, as well as musical ability, and ditto what Brian, and Joey, said!
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

just_bassics wrote:Least favorite bassist? :roll: Not worth answering.

Least favorite RRF thread? Probably this one...

I must agree. I would have a hard time coming up with a "least favorite" for any instrumentalist...(except for a classical music situation). Now, start one about vocalists and about composers and I think we would have a Thread.
legato

Post by legato »

I find it amusing that the names listed in this thread are the same names listed in "favorite bassists" threads.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

yeah,just by different people! :lol:

Return to “The Low End”