Rickenbacker 420 replica project

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

xpatico

Rickenbacker 420 replica project

Post by xpatico »

Hey all,
This past spring our daughter was down for a visit. We got to talking guitars and she suggested something to commemorate "420". I thought about it a bit and dismissed at the time.
So. . . today I click to the idea of a 420 Rickenbacker replica. I know they are maple body neck-through construction and this is a major factor of their natural voicing, but I have some very nice local mahogany and spanish cedar that I would like to use. I have a Warmoth maple neck ready to go but it would have to be a bolt-on set up.
I am open to any recommendations on construction, pickups, hardware etc that would compliment this build.
Thanks for any and all inputs.
Rob
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Rickenbacker 420 replica project

Post by jingle_jangle »

Welcome, Rob.

If you search through this Forum, you will find very little information on building Rickenbacker replicas.

Why? Because, unlike Fender, Gibson and others, Rickenbacker sought and received trade dress protection on many of their distinct visual features, and this protection continues to this day!
xpatico

Post by xpatico »

What you say about Rickenbacker is in a big way the reason I feel so enamored with them. They have steadfastly refused to sub out or lease or export any of their work. By choosing to do their entire work load "in-house" they have maintained their high level of integrity and loyalty. This project is solely for my own use, I never plan to sell any of my work or to mis-represent it as anything other than my own work. Thanks for your input.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome, Rob, but yeah, fair warning, you'll get nothing but nasty comments from most regulars here, probably. The exact thing you posted has been brought up many times and the discussion always goes south quick. I'd try BeatGear Cavern Forum if I were you.

More comment-worthy: you comemmorated 420 with your daughter? You're a very open-minded parent!!! :wink:

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”