It Will Be a Good Day

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

It Will Be a Good Day

Post by miguelbass »

Hello all,

In the spirit of this season I recovered one of my early audio recordings of "It Will Be a Good Day" and made a video clip out of it.
You will be able to hear just the bass on the first part of the video and then the bass played along with the original track.
Best wishes for 2012! It will be a good.. year, let's hope so!
Miguel
http://www.miguelbass.com

just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: It Will Be a Good Day

Post by just_bassics »

Nice! One of my favorite tracks off a great CD!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Thank you, Miguel!
I also think this is a wonderful track. Such positive lyrics and a beautiful arrangement.
Bravo!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

One of the great Yes songs. As Stephen says, positive lyrics. I also love the slide guitar phrasing - hits my endorphin spot.

Just listened to the version off The Ladder and I personally think the Zon sounds better than the Ranney. Just my opinion.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

johnallg wrote:One of the great Yes songs. As Stephen says, positive lyrics. I also love the slide guitar phrasing - hits my endorphin spot.

Just listened to the version off The Ladder and I personally think the Zon sounds better than the Ranney. Just my opinion.
I really like the Ranney natural tone (ex: starlicks interview). The issue is maybe the amount of chorus added. I noticed in the OYE/Ladder tours that Chris was using chorus a lot, even on some pieces where originally was no chorus at all (ex: RSoG).

I was going to add the chorus myself to my sound file but I thought the Zon sounds better clean. The lows are more present and adding more chorus would make the bassline less perceptible. I still think Chris' 8-string Rickenbacker has more guts - it sounds more like a bass (at least on GFtO from yesshows).

Thanks for listening and commenting!

M
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Excellent observations on the various basses and effects, Miguel. Truly, chorus can get out of hand quickly.
And that CFTO tour was outrageously good! Chris was so good that tour.

One more thing about the song: I often choose to listen to it first thing when I am out backpacking. It is the perfect first song to start up a great day of relaxing.

It WILL be a good day! (and yes, Miguel, a good YEAR!)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”