New Hofner bass for Christmas, and it's not a Beatle Bass

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

lennon211
Intermediate Member

New Hofner bass for Christmas, and it's not a Beatle Bass

Post by lennon211 »

I was lucky enough this year to receive a new Hofner Verythin Bass from their Contemporary Series. I've been really impressed with everything about this bass thus far. It has a very cool sound, and it can get to those great throbbing sounds that Chas Chandler had in the Animals. I've also tried out some other songs with it in the limited time I've had to play and "A Town Called Malice" sounds amazing with it. The neck has that great narrow Hofner feel and the workmanship/styling on the bass is very nice. The name "Verythin" is true in this case and it's one of the more comfortable archtop style guitars that I've had. The body's comfort level is close, but not quite to my Vox Virage. It does sound different from my Contemporary Beatle Bass. Highly recommended to try out. It's getting a set of D'Addario Half-Rounds as soon as I can get freed up to order them.
Attachments
photo (2).JPG
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: New Hofner bass for Christmas, and it's not a Beatle Bass

Post by sloop_john_b »

NICE! Love those!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Nice, Matt! Have you gotten a proper bass amp yet? I've always loved Chas Chandler's tone. "We Gotta Get Out This Place" and "It's My Life" are two of my favorite basslines of his, and I've often thought about what basses can get that juicy, but clean, tone. As far as I know, he used a Gibson EB-2 with flatwounds.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

JakeK wrote:Nice, Matt! Have you gotten a proper bass amp yet?
I've had a Fender Rumble 100/210 for a few years now.. It has plenty of power for me and what I'm doing. It looks like I'm getting a new Ampeg Portaflex rig in February if it all works out the right way. For now though, the Fender is perfect for what I want.

Chandler used a few different ones, including the EB-2, Epiphone Rivoli's and occasionally a Fender Precision, at least in a couple of performance clips.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

sloop_john_b wrote:NICE! Love those!
I think you should buy one in a few days...... 8) .......to celebrate the new year......... 8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

leftybass wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:NICE! Love those!
I think you should buy one in a few days...... 8) .......to celebrate the new year......... 8)
+1! Say, in one week from now. 8) Nice way to ring in the New Year, low end style. 8)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

WOW!! gorgeous bass,congrats! i especially love the fret position markers and the maple fiddling....

Return to “The Low End”