Burgandy 481 Slant Fret needs new nut, but...

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

CapeCanaveralGal

Burgandy 481 Slant Fret needs new nut, but...

Post by CapeCanaveralGal »

I am NOT experienced at doing anything but playing it and changing strings (sometimes). I had a friend change strings one time and he used a string winder device that chipped the head stock so now I'm totally paranoid about anyone doing anything to it. I use the HELL out of it as the backing rhythm guitarist in our band, so all the fret dividers are really worn down (as is the fretboard). Our bands original songs are totally dependent on the Ricky-backed sound - I just can't get the same "feel" with other guitar sounds even using the same amp! (I also use a Rickenbacker TR75 amp with a footswitch for distortion on/off).

I've got a "girl cure" on the guitar using tips of toothpicks in the nut slots in order to keep the strings from buzzing intolerably. It actually works pretty good, but I am constantly retuning. So I'm reaching out for help from the forum to get the "right" part (local stores say they'd have to cut down their "stock" nuts) plus advice on where to get service (preferrably factory authorized) in Central Florida. I have a break from gigs until the end of February, so its now or never. Unfortunately, that means money is really scarce too.

I don't know if I can get a good enough picture of the guitar's nut and frets with the 3gs I've got, but if it will help I'll try - let me know.

Thanks to all!!!
mCA3MZJ2B.jpg
mCA3MZJ2B.jpg (2.79 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Burgandy 481 Slant Fret needs new nut, but...

Post by doctorwho »

Hi Raylene, I looked at the nut on my 481 and a stock nut (available from Rickenbacker or a RIC dealer) probably won't work because the slots have to be at an angle, meaning that a blank nut will need to used and slots cut into it at the correct angle. I'll see if I can post some pictures of mine later.

In the meantime, I suggest that you cross-post this in the "The Vibrola" section of the Forum because that's where the 'in-house' luthiers hang out. I know that at least one of them has worked on a 481 previously, so I'm sure that he could give some good advice.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Burgandy 481 Slant Fret needs new nut, but...

Post by doctorwho »

I posted a couple of pictures in the thread under The Vibrola section. :) 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”