Recomend me a good stereo Y cable for ROS

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

HydrasBreath

Recomend me a good stereo Y cable for ROS

Post by HydrasBreath »

I'd like to experiment with Ric-O-Sound since I just got a new ampeg SVT-VR and I could run each pickup on it's own channel. I'm thinking of getting an EHX english muff'n and running the bridge pup through that for extra grind and breakup since I can't really push the SVT enough to get the amount of breakup I want (I don't want people to go deaf :lol: ).

So can anyone recommend a good stereo Y cable? I did a little looking online and I didn't really see any Y cables made specifically for instruments. Best I could find was this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 6000001000 but I'd need a 3 male version or find a stereo to stereo lead chord to go with that Y chord. Or should I just try and track down a ROS box?

So those of you that use ROS what do you guys use?
1978 "Unionjackglo" 4001
2010 Jetglo 4003
2011 Fireglo 4003
Ampeg SVT-VR
Ampeg 810AV
Orange AD200B Mk III
Orange OBC115
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Re: Recomend me a good stereo Y cable for ROS

Post by geddeeee »

I would source a cheap ROS type box. I got one for about £10. It is in effect, a stereo jack to 2 mono jacks

Then you can get a stereo jack cable and plug that into your bass and then into the ROS box. Use 2 mono cables from the box to each amp/channel.

Very easy to do, and a hell of a lot cheaper than the ROS kits you see around....
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Check this out, Matt:

Pick Of The Ricks Y For ROS
http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... Cable.html

IMHO, right angle stereo 1/4" phone jack is the way to go for plugging into the ROS socket of a 4001/4003. :wink:
HydrasBreath

Post by HydrasBreath »

paul_yan wrote:Check this out, Matt:

Pick Of The Ricks Y For ROS
http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... Cable.html

IMHO, right angle stereo 1/4" phone jack is the way to go for plugging into the ROS socket of a 4001/4003. :wink:
Awesome thanks for that Paul! that's exactly what I need. I've been away from this place so long I forgot about places like pick of the ricks. And yeah I definitely prefer right angle jacks when plugging in my Ric regardless if it's mono or stereo.
1978 "Unionjackglo" 4001
2010 Jetglo 4003
2011 Fireglo 4003
Ampeg SVT-VR
Ampeg 810AV
Orange AD200B Mk III
Orange OBC115
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I use that exact Y cable along with a stereo lead (Planet Waves I think) that has a right angle male on the instrument end and a straight male plug on the other. Works great...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
HydrasBreath

Post by HydrasBreath »

I'll probably just get that pick of the ricks cable since the cost of the MF Y and another cable on top of that plus shipping would be about the same...plus the less cables the better as far as I'm concerned :lol:

thanks for the help though gents!
1978 "Unionjackglo" 4001
2010 Jetglo 4003
2011 Fireglo 4003
Ampeg SVT-VR
Ampeg 810AV
Orange AD200B Mk III
Orange OBC115
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

Why would you need an additional stereo cable with the Monster option? That's the one I have and you plug the male end into the ric-o-sound jack and then plug two standard mono cables into the female end to run to the amps.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

A music store made this cable for me over 30 years ago. I think they charged me $25 for it. It still works today

HydrasBreath

Post by HydrasBreath »

nukebass wrote:Why would you need an additional stereo cable with the Monster option? That's the one I have and you plug the male end into the ric-o-sound jack and then plug two standard mono cables into the female end to run to the amps.
the one I linked was the stereo female to two mono males. I didn't see they made an opposite configuration.
1978 "Unionjackglo" 4001
2010 Jetglo 4003
2011 Fireglo 4003
Ampeg SVT-VR
Ampeg 810AV
Orange AD200B Mk III
Orange OBC115
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

HydrasBreath wrote:
nukebass wrote:Why would you need an additional stereo cable with the Monster option? That's the one I have and you plug the male end into the ric-o-sound jack and then plug two standard mono cables into the female end to run to the amps.
the one I linked was the stereo female to two mono males. I didn't see they made an opposite configuration.
That's what I use, stereo cable into the Ric-O-Sound jack, male on both ends. Plug the stereo male into the Y-cable and the 2 mono males into the amps. Only one cable to drag around that way.

Of course, if all you have are mono cables and you want to put the Y at the guitar and drag around 2 cables, yes, you'd need a Y that had a stereo male and 2 mono females. They do exist:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 7000001000

Or are you talking about something else?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

cjj wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:
That's what I use, stereo cable into the Ric-O-Sound jack, male on both ends. Plug the stereo male into the Y-cable and the 2 mono males into the amps. Only one cable to drag around that way.

Of course, if all you have are mono cables and you want to put the Y at the guitar and drag around 2 cables, yes, you'd need a Y that had a stereo male and 2 mono females. They do exist:

Apparently I am blind :)

There's really not enough length on the mono ends of that cable (it's only 18") to use them into two amps, but I guess you could use it into direct boxes. Using the female to two monos would give you the best option for amp separation with a y cable.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

nukebass wrote:
cjj wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote: the one I linked was the stereo female to two mono males. I didn't see they made an opposite configuration.

Apparently I am blind :)

There's really not enough length on the mono ends of that cable (it's only 18") to use them into two amps, but I guess you could use it into direct boxes. Using the female to two monos would give you the best option for amp separation with a y cable.
Yeah, I suppose I should have clarified, I use that Y cable going into 2 SansAmps mounted next to each other in the same rack, so the length is no problem...
HydrasBreath

Post by HydrasBreath »

I was looking for a 3 male Y chord so the POTR cable is exactly what I need.
1978 "Unionjackglo" 4001
2010 Jetglo 4003
2011 Fireglo 4003
Ampeg SVT-VR
Ampeg 810AV
Orange AD200B Mk III
Orange OBC115
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Would this be an option fr some people?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 1000000104

Then you could just take two 1/4" mono cables of the lengths you need. I guess it''s not great for heavy use though
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

If you want a nice cable, go here.

http://bayoucables.com/

Tell them your needs and they'll make you one. Very nice cables.
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”