New George Harrison app for the iPad

The history and music of the Fab Four
harrek

Re: New George Harrison app for the iPad

Post by harrek »

JakeK wrote:This app is interesting indeed. Say, Brian, which guitar(s) do(es) MC play, what does he do with/to them and what familar tunes does he play on them (ie: Heartbreakers, Beatles, improv)?
Well he does a little Harrison stuff, but very little. Sounded more like improv to me. Although it did seem familiar.

I'll have to check my iPad later (not near me), but he plays the 12 string Rick obviously. But there were videos of others.
jamie

Post by jamie »

The one thing about this app that disappointed me a bit was that the guitar photos don't have that high of a resolution.

Also hope updates with a few more guitars will be coming soon. Overall though I feel it's a really nice app and glad that Dhani released this.
Melma

Post by Melma »

Just in case anyone wants to know - I emailed the app people and they reckon the next set of guitars should be coming sometime next month. I've heard things like the Fender VI will be included. I guess guitars that are no longer in the Harrison family won't be included, like the 425 and the Futurama? Pity really, would've been nice to hear them trotted out with the others.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

I saw the 425 (converted o a 450) at he R&R Hall of Fame a few years back, so it ouldn't be posible. However, I think he has a few iconic guitars on the list before the 425. Looking forward to seeing what is next.
Melma

Post by Melma »

I reckon they could've organised a loan. It's actually on loan in its current location - isn't that the one whose owner was nervous about having it at home?

Pretty sure the Futurama is also out of Harrison hands at the moment, but again I can't see any good reason for saying no to a polite request for a quick borrow.

Just wondering what else there is to see. The Club 40 (or similar) that Harrison had wasn't actually his original one, so I'm honestly not that keen on seeing it. I guess there's the cherry Les Paul, the VI bass, and the SG. The big Gibson acoustic also comes to mind.

Anyone know for sure yet? It's not long till it's out anyway.
servant

Post by servant »

His cherry SG went to Pete Ham of Badfinger. After Pete's death, did it make its way back to George?
Melma

Post by Melma »

Quickly flipping through "Beatles Gear", it was one of the guitars that they managed to photograph (as opposed to ones which were merely 'the same model'). I'm not sure who owns the SG now, but like with the others, it would be a strange person indeed who'd say no to Dhani wanting to take some photos and videos of the thing...
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Melma wrote:Quickly flipping through "Beatles Gear", it was one of the guitars that they managed to photograph (as opposed to ones which were merely 'the same model'). I'm not sure who owns the SG now, but like with the others, it would be a strange person indeed who'd say no to Dhani wanting to take some photos and videos of the thing...
The apps are not free, so if he wanted pics of it, he should be prepared to draw up a contract to compensate the owner. I certainly wouldn't give anything to the son of a Beatle, no offense.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
Melma

Post by Melma »

While a bit of compensation for time taken would be nice, it couldn't justifiably be a lot of money. It'd be yet another case of people wanting money for doing nothing, and I can see that getting in the way of other guitar collections getting turned into apps.
Melma

Post by Melma »

Meh. I was told mid-May that they'd be submitting their app for approval 'next month'. I'm not suggesting anything daft here, but perhaps if a few more people email these guys, we might find out how long it's going to take for an update.

support+gh@bandwdth.com

Lemme know if you have any success finding out when the update's coming.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

egosheep wrote:
Melma wrote:Quickly flipping through "Beatles Gear", it was one of the guitars that they managed to photograph (as opposed to ones which were merely 'the same model'). I'm not sure who owns the SG now, but like with the others, it would be a strange person indeed who'd say no to Dhani wanting to take some photos and videos of the thing...
The apps are not free, so if he wanted pics of it, he should be prepared to draw up a contract to compensate the owner. I certainly wouldn't give anything to the son of a Beatle, no offense.
That's the spirit. George, out of the goodness of his heart, gives the guitar away, but his son should pay for photo's. The SG isn't the only guitar George gave away. He gave away many of them.
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis Colts, owns Harrison's SG. He considers himself the caretaker of it. I'm sure if Dhani approached him to photograph it, he would do it. If I were Dhani though, instead of paying anything, I might be inclined to offer a "point" on that particular release based on the app sales that come from it's use....

Hard to know what happens behind the doors on these type transactions. It also may be a good idea to donate any money made to a worthy charitable cause. I'm sure George would have been pleased with an idea that like...

YMMV
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

simer4001 wrote:
egosheep wrote:The apps are not free, so if he wanted pics of it, he should be prepared to draw up a contract to compensate the owner. I certainly wouldn't give anything to the son of a Beatle, no offense.
That's the spirit. George, out of the goodness of his heart, gives the guitar away, but his son should pay for photo's. The SG isn't the only guitar George gave away. He gave away many of them.
My point is that the app is quite expensive, considering the very poor photo quality. If I owned one of these guitars, I don't see why I would let Dhani photograph it to use in his business venture for free. Dhani is a very wealthy man, I have nothing against him, but he should pay for the photos if he intends to resell them through an app. I'm quite sure he(and his lawyers) would agree.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
Kieren

Post by Kieren »

I contacted the app people and they said more guitars are coming (and a companion iPhone app) - probably in a month. I think the app is great and I'm looking forward to an update.
Melma

Post by Melma »

"probably in a month"

They told me that half a year ago!

Return to “Beatles' Forum”