480 Knobs

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

redamber

Re: 480 Knobs

Post by redamber »

cjj wrote:Well, it's possible that the next time you look at the knobs on your 480, the labels will have somehow appeared...

The probability is very nearly zero, but not quite...
and, whilst we're at it, a big welcome back to Roger Rossmeisl and F C Hall!
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

redamber wrote:
cjj wrote:Well, it's possible that the next time you look at the knobs on your 480, the labels will have somehow appeared...

The probability is very nearly zero, but not quite...
and, whilst we're at it, a big welcome back to Roger Rossmeisl and F C Hall!
And Rick guitars that only cost $300...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
1978TrouserGlo

Post by 1978TrouserGlo »

Newbie member here :) This skims the surface of a long standing query I've had and not been able to answer. I have a '78 Azureglo 4001 bass with all the knobs intact, but 2 of the silver inserts, the bass tone and the bass volume ones have long gone lost :( I've written to Rickenbacker asking, but never got a reply - I've just been wondering if anyone sells only the inserts, since my knobs are original and in perfect shape otherwise. I'd happily pay, say... ONE MILLION DOLLARS for those inserts - :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: - but only if you have the exact ones that went lost that were originally issued with the bass. I can match the residual glue marks - I'm sure they're on the planet somewhere, albeit lost in the timespace continuum.

But seriously, folks - I'd settle for shiny new ones for a few realistic bucks.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

1978TrouserGlo wrote:But seriously, folks - I'd settle for shiny new ones for a few realistic bucks.
http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/Knobs_c_11.html
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

1978TrouserGlo wrote:Newbie member here :) ...
Welcome to the Forum, Budd! :)

Unfortunately, the inserts are not available, but as the other post shows, complete replacement knobs (which are identical to the originals) are available from the factory.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
1978TrouserGlo

Post by 1978TrouserGlo »

Thank You doctorwho & iiipopes for your "Welcome" and link to knobs :)

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Not available! I'm in denial :lol: But you did both get me thinking, hmmmmm since they exist, somebody, somewhere must make them. I know the Rick knobs are not unique as these insert inlays go, so you sparked and inspired me to search outside the box.

I've only begun to dig, but I did a goooogul search for "replacement brushed aluminum knob insert inlay (just like that, only one " at the start) and lo and behold ~ people sell such things :D :D :D :D Will I eventually find the right size? Probably. Will any have the "Bass Tone" "Bass Volume" nomenclature? hmmmm that'll be trickier, nevertheless, I'm propelled toward the mark!

So thanks truly guys. If I find the right ones, I'll post here. It may or not be any less costly than a new set of knobs, but I've seen some larger sized (1-1/4") 2 packs for $10, a 50% savings over buying a whole new 4 knob set. btw - The Rick knob inlays are 9/16" - I guess I'd be being a bit "econo"clastic by using "other" brand inserts. Does Rick manufacture their own? Or do they outsource from a secret knob company? :wink: "They're a pretty common style of knob" says Mini Moog :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”