Cleaning/Polishing Gold Plated Hardware

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

NFB-418

Cleaning/Polishing Gold Plated Hardware

Post by NFB-418 »

What would be the best thing to use to clean and polish gold plated hardware - tuning keys, bridge, etc.? I did some preliminary research and didn't find a definitive answer, and I want to be careful as to not damage anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Cleaning/Polishing Gold Plated Hardware

Post by jingle_jangle »

Dampen a corner of the soft flannel RIC polishing cloth and use it to wipe the gold.

Don't try to remove scratches with polish--you'll remove the gold, too, and rapidly!

No Scratch-X, no Zymol, no Turtle wax...

Be aware that gold wears off quickly with frequent use of the instrument; it's only a few millionths of an inch thick.

RIC gold is the best in the biz, as is the plating on the Schaller bridges and tuners that RIC has used. But Gretsch, Gibson, and much of Fender's stuff is very light-duty. I do have a CS Fender with gold hardware that's holding up pretty well, though.

How to care for gold plating on a new guitar--wipe down any and all gold-plated hardware wherever you've touched it, after every playing session. Note that, though gold plating looks seamless, it is porous. Though gold will not tarnish, the metals over which it is plated will corrode with sweat, especially gold-plated aluminum like that used on Bigsbys!

Oh, almost forgot...DO NOT USE paper towels or facial tissues to wipe down gold. They are abrasive to soft plating.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jingle_jangle wrote:Dampen a corner of the soft flannel RIC polishing cloth and use it to wipe the gold.

Don't try to remove scratches with polish--you'll remove the gold, too, and rapidly!

No Scratch-X, no Zymol, no Turtle wax...

Be aware that gold wears off quickly with frequent use of the instrument; it's only a few millionths of an inch thick.

RIC gold is the best in the biz, as is the plating on the Schaller bridges and tuners that RIC has used. But Gretsch, Gibson, and much of Fender's stuff is very light-duty. I do have a CS Fender with gold hardware that's holding up pretty well, though.

How to care for gold plating on a new guitar--wipe down any and all gold-plated hardware wherever you've touched it, after every playing session. Note that, though gold plating looks seamless, it is porous. Though gold will not tarnish, the metals over which it is plated will corrode with sweat, especially gold-plated aluminum like that used on Bigsbys!

Oh, almost forgot...DO NOT USE paper towels or facial tissues to wipe down gold. They are abrasive to soft plating.
BAsically, don't even look at the gold, let alone touch it! :mrgreen:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Or breathe on it....

If you have a Gretsch or a Fender with gold hardware, pick up a tube of high quality metal polish, employ a fair amount of elbow grease and dedicated polishing,and you'll end up with lovely, shiny nickel-finished hardware. . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nickel looks good, longer lasting, too. 8)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Dad..........all me gold's coming off. I need a new guitar don't I?

Sorry. Been there and done that. :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Thanks Paul. I'll be needing that advice for the 380/12!!
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
NFB-418

Post by NFB-418 »

Thanks, Paul. As always, you've been very helpful.
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
NFB-418

Post by NFB-418 »

jps wrote:Basically, don't even look at the gold, let alone touch it! :mrgreen:
:lol:

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”