331 Lightshow question...

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

Re: 331 Lightshow question...

Post by collin »

Quite happy to report that it works, and works AWESOME with the tunes plugged directly in.

I picked up a 1/8"-to-1/4" mono plug from radio shack, hooked up a 1/8" cable from the iPod to the powered-up 331 and slowly turned the volume up.

Not only did the lights perform better than I've ever seen playing it, but try were easier to control by turning the volume up and/or song selection. Hip-hop songs (more dynamic) were bright quick flashes while rock songs flickered more. Very cool...

I'll try to take some pics soon.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Cool! Glad to hear it worked!
8) 8) 8)

The fact that is performs better with the iPod than the guitar itself is fairly easy to explain too. The way these circuits work is that they take the audio signal and split it up into several different frequency ranges (just like a graphic equalizer) and use each range to control one light color.

Now, the frequency content of a whole band playing is much richer than just a single guitar (hey, that's precisely why we get a bunch of instruments together into a band after all). So, there's more content for the light circuit to work on...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
freebyrd

Post by freebyrd »

this is awesome!!! collin, ever head up to SF for a demo? :D
collin

Post by collin »

freebyrd wrote:this is awesome!!! collin, ever head up to SF for a demo? :D

Thanks Jessica, I might---tough to find time with a hectic work schedule, but I'd sure like to one of these days. :)
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

By the way Collin, the iPod trick works on the Lightshow conversion guitars too. I had 'em both hooked up for a little show the other day 8)
collin

Post by collin »

Awesome! Lightshow summit 2 forthcoming.... 8)
freebyrd

Post by freebyrd »

collin wrote:

Thanks Jessica, I might---tough to find time with a hectic work schedule, but I'd sure like to one of these days. :)
oh please! i am dying dying dying to see a lightshow in person. if you like guitars with binding, mine is bound out the wazoo :) not quite as exciting of a visual trade as flashing lights though probably..
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

freebyrd wrote:
collin wrote:Thanks Jessica, I might---tough to find time with a hectic work schedule, but I'd sure like to one of these days. :)
oh please! i am dying dying dying to see a lightshow in person. if you like guitars with binding, mine is bound out the wazoo :) not quite as exciting of a visual trade as flashing lights though probably..
Collin's old (now Dan Saifer's current) Lightshow was/is one heck of a guitar. My mother said it was her favorite guitar at SCARF '11. I'm sure Collin's new Lightshow is just as awesome as the first. 8)
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

JakeK wrote:Collin's old (now Dan Saifer's current) Lightshow was/is one heck of a guitar. My mother said it was her favorite guitar at SCARF '11. I'm sure Collin's new Lightshow is just as awesome as the first. 8)
Wait - Colin and Dan both have OG lightshows now?
8mileshigher

331 Lightshow question...

Post by 8mileshigher »

freebyrd wrote:
collin wrote:

oh please! i am dying dying dying to see a lightshow in person.....

Collin and Dan-o
Are you guys treking up to BARC in two weeks ? ? With Paul W's Lightshows, and you guy's aresenal, that would indeed be another LIght Show summit !! :D :D

The reference to LIghtshow Summit is this thread after the Graham Jam, (a couple of year's back)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=393436&p=600324&hil ... it#p600324
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Did someone say Lightshow summit? I thought I had Collin's old lightshow? :shock:
photo.JPG
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

A few comments and questions to reply to here......

Jake is correct. The Lightshow Collin had at SCARF 2011 now belongs to me. So I have one "OG" (to quote Kenny) and one Paul W. Lightshow conversion. I can play one while the other is hooked up to my iPod and entertain myself for hours :lol:

Rich, unfortunately I will not be able to make BARC this year, but I am looking forward to the pictures and reports.

Graham, Collin seems to be a good source of Lightshows! I believe you have the Jetglo one he used to own, I have the Burgundyglo one he used to own, and he now owns a third one that he restored (or is still restoring, it looks good to me) himself.

If we can get you and Kenny back to SoCal for a visit, maybe when Jake is out, we'll light 'em all up :)

Cheers
collin

Post by collin »

JakeK wrote:
Collin's old (now Dan Saifer's current) Lightshow was/is one heck of a guitar. My mother said it was her favorite guitar at SCARF '11. I'm sure Collin's new Lightshow is just as awesome as the first. 8)
Thanks! They're all cool guitars. Each has a distinct personality, from the small handful I've owned or played.

8mileshigher wrote: Collin and Dan-o
Are you guys treking up to BARC in two weeks ? ? With Paul W's Lightshows, and you guy's aresenal, that would indeed be another LIght Show summit !! :D :D

Can't, sorry Rich! Would be great to make it up there for once, but work is so demanding right now, hard to get some free time, even on a weekend!

Danotron wrote:
Graham, Collin seems to be a good source of Lightshows! I believe you have the Jetglo one he used to own, I have the Burgundyglo one he used to own, and he now owns a third one that he restored (or is still restoring, it looks good to me) himself.
Hah! Yes, I have been known to go through a few guitars......and a number of them seem to find their way into your hands. :lol: Really though, always happy to keep them local.

Graham.....that Jetglo one was my favorite. Doh! Looks great on the wall though, nice, 8)

I'll post more photos/info on my 331 later, I've had it for long while now, just haven't gotten around to talking about it, let alone pulling out a camera for some pics.
Last edited by collin on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I would, but I don't have mine with me. :(
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

If all of you end up getting these lightshows together, someone should make a daisy chain wire harness and light them all up together. This would make an interesting video. :D
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”