Loose Bridge on a 330

Reports from Australia
MatthewBrown

Loose Bridge on a 330

Post by MatthewBrown »

Hi all,

I was re-stringing my 330 tonight and the bridge has come off. The four screws supporting the bridge just seem to sit in recessed holes which aren't threaded. So while the strings are loose, the bridge wobbles in its place, and it just doesn't seem right. Perhaps I've just never noticed it before - it's only the third time I've restrung it - but is this normal? Should the bridge be fixed rather than loose when the instrument is unstrung?

Cheers,
Matthew
antipodean

Re: Loose Bridge on a 330

Post by antipodean »

Hi Matthew,

The bridge is not fixed to the top of the guitar - it is designed to sit on the adjustable plate, and is held in place by the combination of string tension and the plate. As there is no block running down the length of the body on a 330/360, (unlike a Gibson 335), a floating bridge makes a lot of sense on a 330. Interestingly even a few solid bodies (e.g. Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar, Mosrite Mk I, II and V) have bridges that "float" rather than fully fixed bridges.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Matthew, use one of the allan keys to adjust the legs so the bridge doesn't wobble anymore!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
MatthewBrown

Post by MatthewBrown »

Thanks. I suspected as much once I'd calmed down. While I normally lay it down to re-string it, I did it yesterday with the guitar sitting upright. I got a shock when I lightly bumped the bridge and the whole thing tilted forwards [I didn't have much string tension on the new strings at the time]. There was an "oh s*#t" moment.

I had the strings on low tension because I was giving it a clean. Does anyone have any tips on cleaning a 330 or 360? I like to keep my 330 clean and shiny, and the best time to do this is re-stringing time. But with the floating bridge and removable R-tailpiece, it is quite fiddly to remove all the strings, clean, and re-string.

Would love to know how people clean their 330s and 360s. How do people keep their pickups, bridge, fretboard, and under the strings nice and clean?

[What a guitar though? What a sound! Love the versatility. Have got some great jazz tones out of it as well as the classic chime. Loving the humbuckers, which are hot enough to allow the sound to break up well for added dynamics.]
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

MatthewBrown wrote:... Would love to know how people clean their 330s and 360s. How do people keep their pickups, bridge, fretboard, and under the strings nice and clean? ...
I wipe my 370/12RM down with a little Turtle Wax polish every now and again, with the strings left on. In between the waxings, I use a polish cloth.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I only use a yellow cloth to keep it somewhat okay until the next string change, then I give it a good clean.

I never wax it, it's got scratches, bumps, dents... I've passed the stage when I first got my 360 JG where I wanted it be as shiny as new all the time, it's been used, it looks used, it's natural aging!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless

Return to “Australian Chapter: by Greg Rahilly”