checking?

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

TomLovesRics

checking?

Post by TomLovesRics »

Is there anyway to prevent checking? Why does it happen? And is it more common in solid colors or bursts? Thoughts?
krick
Veteran RRF member

Re: checking?

Post by krick »

I think checking is usually caused by rapid temperature changes. An example would be when a cold instrument is suddenly exposed to a much warmer environment. The wood may expand quicker than the finish so the finish can crack. I believe hollow body guitars are more prone to this due to the warmer air being able to get inside and cause the wood to expand even quicker. I have seen checking on bursts and solid colors so I don't think that matters much.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

I think it's the clear coat that usually cracks, so color shouldn't matter. Impacts can cause checking. Checking that does not follow the natural wood grain or is radiating out from the neck joint may mean trouble.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

When clear coat checks, it can take the color coat with it, exposing bare wood in the cracks. There's no hard and fast rule to this, however.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

jingle_jangle wrote:When clear coat checks, it can take the color coat with it, exposing bare wood in the cracks. There's no hard and fast rule to this, however.
OUCH, I didn't know that. I just assumed it was the top coat as well. :shock:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Extreme changes in humidity can cause checks as well. On my only Rickenbacker that has a minor checked finish, the checks radiate from "stress" points like screw-holes. This isn't the case with old Fenders - they seem to check anywhere and everywhere....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
TomLovesRics

Post by TomLovesRics »

Thanks for all the info!
wordsonyou

Post by wordsonyou »

I agree especially when you go from very cold to room temp. Up here in Canada many a ricky purchaser has regretted not letting their ricky fully acclimate to room temp before cracking the box

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”