How can I get my 325c58 to stay in tune???

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

callmera

How can I get my 325c58 to stay in tune???

Post by callmera »

I swapped out my stock vintage repro roller bridge for a Bigsby Sorkin Bowtie . . . and it was horrible for intonation, so I went back to the repro roller. I have Pyramid flat wound 10s on there right now, and it won't stay in tune even after a professional set-up/intonation. I don't care about trying to "Lennonize" the guitar anymore . . . . I just want it to stay in tune for recording, etc. Should I consider changing the tuning pegs and/or going up to 11s or 12s?

BTW, I don't get all you "bow tie" fans who say it stays in tune better with a bow tie! You can't intonate a bow tie!
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Re: How can I get my 325c58 to stay in tune???

Post by lennon211 »

Sounds like your strings are too light. I probably wouldn't consider going with anything lighter than the .12's.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robert: Matt is correct when it comes to the heavier strings. 11s may work and I would try a round wound set of Strings known to intonate well with a wound G. The Ghs 1315 set should work for you as one possibility.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Ditto on what Peter and Matt said. I use a 12 set on all of my short scales, and those I bought used with intonation problems always had too small a gauge string set on them.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
callmera

Post by callmera »

You guys rock! I will first try 11s. The 12s worked fine on my 325c64, but playing intricate things higher up was kinda rough on my fingers so I went with 10s and so far I'm good.

We'll see what happens.

Stay tuned.

-R
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

callmera wrote:... Stay tuned. -R
:shock: :roll: :lol:
A pun worthy of me! :roll: :lol:

One other thing: IIRC, the tuners are the reissue open-back ones. If so, there is a Phillips head screw on the shaft drive. Make sure all of those are snug (you don't have to crank down on them). I have gotten guitars or basses in the past with those types of screws a bit loose, a situation that allows the spindle to slip under pressure (e.g. when fretting or bending strings).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Robert,
I use the Original Rickenbacker 12`s (Nickel Round wound) and they work perfect, even with Bigsby bridge and Bigsby Vibrato. But Flatwounds would work as well (12 gauge)

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
Melma

Post by Melma »

Another way you could possibly get the guitar to stay in tune is to send it to my house for a visit.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”