RRF Consultant

Rock Family Trees

Post by royclough »

Afew may enjoy this 48 minutes long

admin
Site Admin

Re: Rock Family Trees

Post by admin »

Roy: Thanks for this link. It is a fabulous documentary of the Liverpool scene during the mid 1960s. It is great to see so many of the players and their thoughts with respect to the music of the day. It is a pity, however, that the producers were not able to interview a Beatle on camera as well.

It was great to see members of those groups that played the Iron Door Club and the Cavern. This is a must see and far too short. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Roy,

I was spellbound by this video. It really brought home just what an impact the lads from Liverpool had on the music scene in England in the early to mid 60's. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I want Pete Frame's book of the same name. Must have the precious.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

This era to me............was the birth of truly great innovative music.

The book you mention Peter, seems like it would be a great read.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

For those of you who weren’t there at the time, an interesting episode of the Rock Family Trees series of programmes narrated by John Peel and first aired on the BBC on the 18th September, 1998 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Frame

The highlight for me was Johnny Gustafson retelling the sorry tale of the Big Three’s live album performance at the Cavern that for some inexplicable reason was lost – except that is for the four tracks that managed to escape onto the Big Three’s “Live at the Cavern” EP. It’s not the first time I’ve heard this story told – apparently the powers that be at Decca weren’t all that impressed with the sound quality of the Big Three's live performance. I understand from a few sources that the size and configuration of the Cavern made it a sound engineer’s nightmare when it came to live recordings. A state of affairs that certainly wasn’t helped by the standard of mobile recording equipment around in the UK that frankly wasn’t fit for purpose fifty years ago. Hence, the reason why – when compared to the number of live albums that were recorded out of Hamburg’s Star Club at about the same time – very little survives of live Cavern performances. And, those that do simply don’t do justice to the energy and musicianship of the leading Liverpool groups of the time.

Also, it was nice to see the late Johnny Byrne (aka Johnny Guitar) of Rory Storm and the Hurricanes getting a bit of air time. Aged 60, Johnny died on 18th August, 1999 finally succumbing to motor neurone disease and some 12 months after recording this interview,

Taken from the 1995 documentary “A Day in the Life” and recently posted on YouTube is an additional 7-minute clip of an interview with Johnny Byrne that harks back to his time with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes …

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”