Time moves on

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
hamilton_square

Re: Time moves on

Post by hamilton_square »

JeffZ wrote:It looks like YouTube took the Island Documentary down for copyright infringement. Something that will begin to happen more often I'm afraid.
Yes, indeed Jeff, I had a feeling it wouldn’t stay up on You Tube for long. The BBC in particular are hot on protecting its copyright on TV material that can be seen via third-party websites (like YouTube) by non-UK viewers.

Over the last couple of years the BBC have been commissioning a fair number of documentaries on the higher profile British groups and personalities of the 60s & 70s for broadcast on its BBC4 digital TV channel. But, unfortunately due to the way the BBC is annually funded here in the UK by means of a per household levied licence fee, access to televised archive material on the BBC iPlayer web portal is blocked for non-UK registered IP addresses.

However, I’ve found one of these BBC4 documentaries still mainly intact on You Tube. It’s the sad story of Peter Green and the early days of Fleetwood Mac. I think it might have slipped past the You Tube censors because the 90-minute broadcast has been uploaded in 9 x 10-minute segments – although, part 5 of the 9 has since been taken down.

The Story of Peter Green : Man of the World

Part 1 ... Part 2 ... Part 3 ... Part 4 ... Part 5 Missing ... Part 6 ... Part 7 ... Part 8 ... Part 9
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Answer to latest, been away so missed a few posts

hamilton_square

royclough wrote:Answer to latest, been away so missed a few posts
Did wonder why you've been so quiet.

GARY PUCKETT – born 17 October 1942 in Hibbing, Minnesota

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, so-named after a small city in Yakima County, Washington State and close to where Gary Puckett grew up and went to school, charted five times in the Top 10 of the US Billboard Hot 100 between November 1967 and August 1969 without ever reaching the coveted number one spot. However, “Young Girl” arguably Gary Puckett and the Union Gap’s best known single did top the UK Charts four weeks in row in May 1968.

Current day image of Gary Puckett sourced from …

http://www.petebyronrealty.com/RealtoroftheStars.asp
hamilton_square

Well, I'm now down to my last two bullets and then I'm out of ammunition.

Who is this being interviewed on BBC TV a couple years ago that time has moved on for?
DDD.JPG
Clues:
1: British
2: Once part of a well-known 1960s British group
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Thanks for the Peter Green links, I have long been a fan of his.
hamilton_square

JeffZ wrote:Thanks for the Peter Green links, I have long been a fan of his.
I thought you might be. Just on the off-chance you on your side of the Atlantic (or anyone else for that matter) might be interested, last year BBC TV Scotland put out an hour long retrospective look at JACK BRUCE, the influential Scots-born bass player who will be forever associated with Cream. A copy of the full broadcast has recently popped up on YouTube where, the last time I looked, it is still available to watch at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixttxXjviTU

Now fast approaching his 69th birthday, the program touches on Jack Bruce’s close call with liver cancer and his successful transplant operation in 2003, being sexually abused as a young boy by his cello teacher and his life long struggle with heroin and alcohol. But, the centre piece of the program is the long running love-hate relationship between him and drummer Ginger Baker which started some years before the 1966 formation of Cream. Eric Clapton’s neutral insights on the feud and how the 2005 reunion of Cream was to ultimately turn sour (couldn’t pass up that pun) are particularly illuminating.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I know the latest one but will let others have a go, another clue made a album with Mike Smith of The Dave Clark Fivs called Smith and ?
hamilton_square

Time for a clue update as to the identity of our mystery 1960s British group member:
1: British
2: Once part of a well-known 1960s British group

3: While not a founding member, he joined the group when one of the original members surprisingly left to pursue a solo recording career that never got off the ground
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Oh come on, another clue group were named after one of the members
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Oh, come on then: Michael D'Abo!

I searched through Mindbenders, Tremeloes etc, but landed safely by guidence of Mr. Clough.

D'Abo had a more interesting voice than Paul Jones whom he replaced in Manfred Mann (IMO) and he did write a lot of memorable songs, for MM as well as for others. I'm glad he looks his age. I don't fancy the "forever young" culture that rides certain elements of the show biz circuit. Weird examples not mentioned.

The winner: Einar!
The hero: Michael!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

OK well done Einar

Here's a 60s star in his later years who is it?
Attachments
421084_555873119881_123000138_30976250_757256759_n.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like Bobby Vee to me.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

you got it
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

ok try another

was part of a group in 60s and later a solo artist
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 8465 times
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Does this picture do the man justice, Roy, or is it a case of ugly surgery??

(Could this be a person, mentioned before on this thread? Initials the same as used by another legendary 60's performer?)

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”