Time moves on

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
JeffZ

Re: Time moves on

Post by JeffZ »

hamilton_square wrote:I suspect this one will be relatively easy but nevertheless:

After perhaps being snapped by a lying-in-wait paparazzi following one too many visits to his local Botox clinic - who does this smiling face belong to?
XXX.JPG
1960s British
Dave Clark.
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Correct, give Mister JeffZ a cigar

Yeh! I had a feeling that Dave Clark would be easy pickings.

DAVE CLARK – born on 15 December 1942 in Tottenham, London.

Drummer and leader of the DAVE CLARK 5 who, following on from the Beatles, spearheaded the 1964-65 ‘British Invasion’ of the States.

After the break-up of the Dave Clark 5 in 1970, Dave Clark went on to become a successful theatre producer, entrepreneur and as a result, multi-millionaire. He currently lives in seclusion somewhere in West London and these days is very rarely seen in public.

See the Dave Clark of 2008 at …

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Dave+Clark ... Y8iiZn3L4z
hamilton_square

Now, I think that this one is not going to be so easy.

Who is this “good old boy”?
ZZZ.JPG
1960s American

As his most notable hit was so closely associated with the distinctive instrumental accompaniment of this other “good old boy” you really can’t have one without the other …
ZZZ+1.JPG
Also, 1960s American

My coded reference to “good old boys” refers to a certain US state (which as a small island Brit I understand is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line) where men are men and cattle are afraid.

Roy, you are welcome to join in seeing as I have kept you in the dark on this one.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Out on a limb here but would it be Carl Perkins with his guitar sidekick Terry Jacks?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
hamilton_square

admin wrote:Out on a limb here but would it be Carl Perkins with his guitar sidekick Terry Jacks?
As I am only including those who are still able to draw breath, I'm afraid Carl Perkins doesn’t qualify.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I am slightly confused are we looking for two seperate acts
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Peter. I did not think of that rule although it probably goes without saying. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock of Air Supply :wink:
hamilton_square

aceonbass wrote:Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock of Air Supply :wink:
No, Air Supply was a 1970s Australian creation if my memory serves me correct.
royclough wrote:I am slightly confused are we looking for two seperate acts
No. While they were (and still are) two separate acts in there own right. Of the two, the name I am looking for is that of the vocalist. Being that because the singer concerned was something of a 1960s one-hit wonder, and even though his one hit has been covered by numerous artists during the intervening years; it’s his name that will be ever associated with it. But, if some one can put a name to both the singer and the “other” person then there’s double points up for grabs.

Because, once you know the name of the singer that I am looking for then the name of the record he had a hit with will automatically follow. As will the influence of the sound of a particular musical instrument played on the record by the “other” person. Also, given the conditions that govern this thread, I think that it will be very hard to put a name to this particular vocalist without knowing beforehand the importance that “other” person played in making both the vocalist and his one big hit successful – even if it was for only a seemingly short time.

It also helps that if I should need to post a few clues – which I suspect I will be doing – then letting slip the nature of the instrument concerned or even as a last resort, the name of the “other” person who played the instrument on the record becomes a possibility.

So, to sum up the clues so far:
1: It's the name of the vocalist I am looking for (but if anyone can also put a name to the "other" person then all the better)
2: 1960s solo recording artist
3: From the Lone Star State of the good ol' US of A
4: Something of a one-hot wonder (of which the "other" person was a very important part of)
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

My guess would be Roy Head. He came from Texas and most pop fans would see him as a one hit wonder ("Treat Her Right") though he did enjoy some success in the country market during the 1970's.

I live about 25 miles south of the Mason Dixon line; it's the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania.
hamilton_square

JeffZ wrote:My guess would be Roy Head. He came from Texas and most pop fans would see him as a one hit wonder ("Treat Her Right") though he did enjoy some success in the country market during the 1970's.
Now, there’s a name from the past I haven’t heard for a long, long time. No it isn’t Roy Head, I recall he was an out-and-out rocker while my mystery performer had a little more of the C&W about him.

As far as I can tell this is the Roy Head of today …
roy-head.png
And, after a quick trawl on You Tube, this is the Roy Head (and "Treat Her Right") of the 1960s - back then he certainly had some moves going for him …

JeffZ wrote:I live about 25 miles south of the Mason Dixon line; it's the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Mention the word “Pennsylvania” to me and the first three things that pop into my mind are coal mines, Pittsburgh Steelers and the Deer Hunter film. As for “Maryland” – you can call me strange but it’s Baltimore’s Pimlico Race Course, the Preakness Stakes and the famous two horse race, dubbed “The Match of the Century”, that took place their between Sea Biscuit and War Admiral on 1 November 1938. When I understand there were an estimated 40,000 people at trackside and further 40-million listening in on radio. I’ve watched filmed footage of the event on You Tube countless times and it’s a wonderful race to see two top-class horses going at it head-to-head.

I just love watching live events - be it theatre, music, comedy or sport - when the performing participants are in top form and flying - it doesn't really matter to me what it is. I think I must have first caught the bug as a teenager in and around Liverpool during the early 60s. There was so much going on at the time that I was spoilt for choice. Admittedly, a lot of it was mediocre and even rubbish at worse – but there was also some memorable and highly entertaining stuff as well taking place.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Yes, the Preakness at Pimlico isn't too far off. Always a big day here in town, especially if the Kentucky Derby winner wins at Plimlico too, then you have a shot at the triple crown.

As it's not Roy Head I am drawing a blank on this performer...
hamilton_square

Time for a clue update:

1: It's the name of the vocalist I am looking for (but if anyone can also put a name to the "other" person then all the better)
2: 1960s solo recording artist
3: From the Lone Star State of the good ol' US of A
4: Something of a one-hit wonder (of which the "other" person was a very important part of)

5: This mystery singer also co-wrote his one big 1960s hit (but not with the “other” mystery person included – he was just on hand to play his part during the recording process) and at the last count the song had been covered more than 100 times by other artistes over the years – even one of the Beatles has recorded a version of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If needed, I have put together a further two clues as to the identity of this mystery person and, to hopefully that of his companion also. All being well, I intend to separately add them to the above list of clues over the coming five days. Then if the identity (or identities) has still not been correctly guessed I shall reveal them myself, more or less, come this time next Wednesday. But, hopefully it won’t get that far because what I attempted to do is to structure these clues to be more and more revealing as the list gets longer. Something akin to gradually opening the curtains wider and wider to let more light in on the subject.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Would the singer be Bruce Chanel and his sidekick Delbert McClinton?

hamilton_square

YES … the Boss got there in the end

And, the mystery singer is … BRUCE CHANNEL – born Bruce McMeans on 28 November 1940 in Jackonsville, Texas (why am I not surprised he changed his name)

Which means the “other” mystery person is … harmonica player DELBERT McCLINTON – born on 4 November 1940 in Lubbock, Texas.

While something of a one-hit wonder, Bruce Channel’s “Hey! Baby” written by him in collaboration with Margret Cobb was a US Number 1 for 3 weeks in March 1962; it also went on to reach Number 2 in the UK charts that same year. “Hey! Baby” was made memorable by the distinctive harmonica breaks played by Delbert McClinton that was said to have influenced John Lennon’s harmonica breaks on the Beatles “Love Me Do” and “I Should Have Known Better (with a girl like you)”.

The two ‘as-they-are-now’ images were taken from filmed interviews that first, Bruce Channel gave in early 2011 about his song-writing and music that can be seen on You Tube at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ9oLN2Xtsk

And secondly, an interview that both Bruce Channel and Delbert McClinton gave together in either 2006 or 2007 about touring the UK and performing in Liverpool (New Brighton’s Tower Ballroom to be exact) with the Beatles on the under-bill and can also be seen on You Tube at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXzJaCeHP8

*********************************************************************************************************************

I am now going to have a couple of days off to possibly let somebody else have a go if they want. But I'll be back because I've got several more bullets to fire before I run out of ammunition.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”