Time moves on

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Re: Time moves on

Post by admin »

Thanks for putting me out of my misery, Peter. You have to love this period photo.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Here in the UK it’s a May Day Bank Holiday week-end so, I’m away for three days. In the meantime, here’s a face to try and put a name to. Posing for a photograph with a young female fan who was still a long way off being born when he (and his partner) were churning out hits – who is this?
AAA.JPG
Clues:
1: American
2: One half of a 1960s US duo who were two boys just out to have good time

If needed, more hopefully revealing clues to follow on my return.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Dean Torrence from Jan and Dean?
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I think Brian's got it...that does look like Dean.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Solved it seems before Peter left the building. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

admin wrote:Solved it seems before Peter left the building. :)

Umm is it just me.. or should this "game" involve people who are still alive?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brian as with any quiz here, the rules are made by the host. Living or passed on, I have found a number of these teasers to be quite challenging.

bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

I have found a number of these teasers to be quite challenging.

I agree Peter..
hamilton_square

Gentlemen, thank you for the feedback. I’m pleased to hear I’m giving your “hippocampuses” a workout – that’s the part of the brain’s hard-drive that stores memories.

On the matter of why the living only qualify? While it was not my idea to come up with the topic nevertheless, the title of this thread is “Time moves on”. Now, pause and think about what that literally means - because for our earthly purposes, time only moves on for the living. Sadly, for those who are no longer with us time as very much come to a stop, they don’t grow any older.

Well, looking at the date and time stamp, Dean Torrence was (surprisingly to me) correctly identified in double quick time. I did think he might have remained un-guessed for a while longer than the hour he was. But then again, the music of Jan and Dean did leave a much bigger and lasting imprint on the US than it was to do here in the UK

DEAN TORRENCE – born Dean Ormsby Torrence on 10 March 1940 in Los Angles, California.

Better known as JAN and DEAN, Dean Torrence and the late Jan Berry were acknowledged pioneers, together with the Beach Boys, of the 1960s 'Surf Music Sound'.

Along with the duo’s US Number 1 “Surf City” that topped the charts for two weeks in July 1963, Jan and Dean also had US Top 10 follow up hits with the likes of “Drag City”, “Little Old Lady from Pasadena” and “Dead Man’s Curve”.

Now aged 72, you can see this short You Tube clip (posted June 2011) of Dean Torrence together with a young autograph collector at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSHGgYI89lM
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

hamilton_square wrote:Gentlemen, thank you for the feedback. I’m pleased to hear I’m giving your “hippocampuses” a workout – that’s the part of the brain’s hard-drive that stores memories.

On the matter of why the living only qualify? While it was not my idea to come up with the topic nevertheless, the title of this thread is “Time moves on”. Now, pause and think about what that literally means - because for our earthly purposes, time only moves on for the living. Sadly, for those who are no longer with us time as very much come to a stop, they don’t grow any older.

Well, looking at the date and time stamp, Dean Torrence was (surprisingly to me) correctly identified in double quick time. I did think he might have remained un-guessed for a while longer than the hour he was. But then again, the music of Jan and Dean did leave a much bigger and lasting imprint on the US than it was to do here in the UK

DEAN TORRENCE – born Dean Ormsby Torrence on 10 March 1940 in Los Angles, California.

Better known as JAN and DEAN, Dean Torrence and the late Jan Berry were acknowledged pioneers, together with the Beach Boys, of the 1960s 'Surf Music Sound'.

Along with the duo’s US Number 1 “Surf City” that topped the charts for two weeks in July 1963, Jan and Dean also had US Top 10 follow up hits with the likes of “Drag City”, “Little Old Lady from Pasadena” and “Dead Man’s Curve”.

Now aged 72, you can see this short You Tube clip (posted June 2011) of Dean Torrence together with a young autograph collector at …

Peter(s) my bad.. I misread his mothers Death in 2008 and not his.
hamilton_square

Let’s try you out on a Brit this time - who is this that time has moved on for?
FFF.JPG
Clues:
1: British
2: Member of a well-known 1960s British group

If required, more clues to be added over the coming days
bartyclue wrote:Peter(s) my bad.. I misread his mothers Death in 2008 and not his.
Can happen to the best of us from time to time
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Spencer Davis. Spence still gigs with Eddie Hardin and Peter York occasionally, usually in Germany.
hamilton_square

And, SPENCER DAVIS it is … born Spencer David Nelson Davies on 17 July 1939 in Swansea, Wales

The Spencer Davis Group was formed in 1963 in the English city of Birmingham by Spencer Davis, Muff Winwood and his kid-brother Steve Winwood with Pete York on drums.

Apologises for the Finnish language subtitles at the beginning of this You Tube video – but it is still hard for me to believe that in 1967 this was an 18-year old boy from the British Midlands.

The ‘as-he-is-now’ image of Spencer Davis was taken from a 2010 BBC TV documentary telling the story of Chris Blackwell and 50 years of Island Records that can be seen on You Tube at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKrVgh2XeU
hamilton_square

I have a feeling that this might not be all that difficult for some of you US guys to put a name to this face. Because, I understand this person resting his elbow on some bar or other is still quite active on the ‘golden oldies’ circuit in the States. Which means of course, we here in the UK never get to see him doing the nostalgia rounds on our more or less 700-mile x 200-mile island – so, who is this that time has moved on for?
CCC.jpg
Clues:
1: American
2: A once well-known 1960s featured singer whose name came before that of his backing group – for example: “Forename Surname” and the “Something Something”

If required, more clues to be added over the coming days
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

hamilton_square wrote:And, SPENCER DAVIS it is … born Spencer David Nelson Davies on 17 July 1939 in Swansea, Wales

The Spencer Davis Group was formed in 1963 in the English city of Birmingham by Spencer Davis, Muff Winwood and his kid-brother Steve Winwood with Pete York on drums.

Apologises for the Finnish language subtitles at the beginning of this You Tube video – but it is still hard for me to believe that in 1967 this was an 18-year old boy from the British Midlands.

The ‘as-he-is-now’ image of Spencer Davis was taken from a 2010 BBC TV documentary telling the story of Chris Blackwell and 50 years of Island Records that can be seen on You Tube at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKrVgh2XeU
It looks like YouTube took the Island Documentary down for copyright infringement. Something that will begin to happen more often I'm afraid.

The Finnish video is great, there are other songs from this TV show up as well, including a killer version of "I'm A Man". Another interesting thing about this performance is that it may very well be the last filmed appearance of the original Spencer Davis Group. This must date from the late winter/early spring of 1967. Both Winwood brothers left in April of that year, Steve forming Traffic and Muff going into the A&R side of the music business.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”