Hope I Die Before I Get Old

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
hamilton_square

Hope I Die Before I Get Old

Post by hamilton_square »

Hope I Die Before I Get Old : The Cult of Death in Rock ‘n’ Roll ...

... is a series of half-hourly BBC radio programs hosted by broadcaster and professional northerner Mark Radcliffe*. Originally aired back in August 2010, the series is currently being re-broadcasted on BBC Radio 6. The premise of each "trial" is did the early death of a featured artist deservedly elevate him / her to godlike status?

The two “died-young” godlike candidates to be recently put on radio trial were BUDDY HOLLY and JANIS JOPLIN.

At the trial of Buddy Holly – DJ Whispering Bob Harris appeared for the prosecution while Hank Marvin spoke in defence of Buddy Holly.

At the trial of Janis Joplin – British Criminal Lawyer Nick Barraclough** appeared for the prosecution while American born Katrina Leskanich of (Katrina and the Waves fame) spoke in defence of Janis Joplin.

Listen HERE to the radio trials of Buddy Holly and Janis Joplin

* Mark Radcliffe’s style of broadcasting is heavily biased towards irreverence and mocking and is very much an acquired taste – to non-UK listeners his distinctly slanted North of England sense of humour just might not travel.

** Listening to Nick Barraclough, he doesn’t pull any punches in his negative appraisal of Janis Joplin.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Hope I Die Before I Get Old

Post by royclough »

Thanks for this
hamilton_square

Re: Hope I Die Before I Get Old

Post by hamilton_square »

You’re more than welcome Roy.

From time to time, the BBC put out some interesting popular music genre programs that become available to ‘listen again to’ on its online iPlayer platform – which is where and when I get to watch and listen to them. Unfortunately, such BBC iPlayer programs only remain active for 7 days before they are taken down and stored in a vault somewhere to be perhaps dusted off a couple of years later and replayed again. Therefore, it’s something of a pointless exercise for me to post direct links to particular broadcasts because inside 7 days such links will effectively be died.

While on one hand, I don’t have a good enough ‘freeware’ program to grab video replays – on the other, it’s quite easy to do when just audio is involved. I used to use the services of 4Shared.com for file sharing. However, that outfit has now made it a condition of access for free-to-use accounts holders that only other 4Shared.com registered members can access content - which is a setback.

That’s why after looking around; I came across podOmatic.com as an alternative free means of sharing MP3 audio replays. The one big drawback to this particular free-to-use account is the 500Mbs limit on storage space imposed by podOmatic. As a 50-minute MP3 file takes up about 50Mbs of space then a 500Mbs limit is equal to about 8 hours 20 minutes of stored audio material. Once that 500Mbs is reached, then unless I want to buy additional storage space, my account options are to delete previous ‘episodes’ to free up space. Or be devious and register for further free-to-use accounts using alternative name and email information.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”