Canada Customs Charges.

Reports from Canada
rickenbottom

Canada Customs Charges.

Post by rickenbottom »

Just wondering if anyone knows what Canada Customs Fees would be if purchasing from the States. Contacted Musiciansfriend today. They have a 4003 in stock in fireglo and will price match. I realize that with free trade because the item is made in the USA there should be no duties, but what costs may I acquire other than shipping fees???? Has anybody been through this process???
2011 4003 Jetglo
2013 330 Mapleglo
2013 4004L Snowglo
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Re: Canada Customs Charges.

Post by bitzerguy »

UPS charged me $75USD back in 2003. I have heard some others got charged up to $150 (no duties, just HST or GST/PST and clearance fee). I got around the UPS fees last year by telling the driver I refuse the fees adn will go to the depot to clear the item myself. I went to the UPS depot and explained that I would get the item cleared and needed the customs documents, which the clerk gave me. I went to Canada Customs at the airport and cleared the item, paid the GST/PST (in Quebec) and took the cleared documents back to the UPS deport and claimed my package. Saved about $150.

Fedex charged me $30 fee on a $2000 purchase, plus GST/PST.

So they all differ.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
steversaurus

Re: Canada Customs Charges.

Post by steversaurus »

If you are mailing it over the border, USPS is the way to go. The rest as mentioned will hit you with brokerage fees. If you live close to the border, I found the easiest way to do things is to have it mailed to a shipping company on the US side of the border that will provide you a physical address. Pick it up and bring it over the border yourself. Declare and pay taxes. Shipping within the US is much cheaper than crossing the border.

Return to “Canadian Chapter: by Dean Steglia”