The Beatles' Mystery Strat

The history and music of the Fab Four
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

The Beatles' Mystery Strat

Post by deaconblues »

By now I'm sure we've all seen this shot of the Beatles' guitars backstage, featuring the mystery dark (possibly C.A.R.?) Strat with the painted headstock:

And from a new photo exhibition in NYC, there's this shot of what appears to be Lennon playing the Strat:

So, can anyone shed more light on the mystery Strat?
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: The Beatles' Mystery Strat

Post by Ivan3000 »

I don't know exactly what concert this was, but based on the fact that that 360 is there, I'm going to say this is in 1965. I'm pretty sure fender had matching heastocks by then aswell, but I've never seen a photo of a black matching headstock from that era, I could be wrong though.
Maybe it was a black strat and lennon painted the headstock to match?
It could have been a copy, but back then I dont know if copies were apparent.
It doesn't look like there is any drippage onto the side of the headstock, so I don't think Lennon (being impulsive and free spirited, IMO) painted it. Maybe he had someone paint it, he did like things painted black.
Just some theories.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Belonged to an opening band, no? Maybe John decided he'd "have a bash" on it during soundcheck?
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

sloop_john_b wrote:Belonged to an opening band, no? Maybe John decided he'd "have a bash" on it during soundcheck?
If I had to guess, based on the groups that were on the bill with the Beatles - the Moody Blues, the Koobas, and the Paramounts - the guitar probably has its origins with the Paramounts. The Moody Blues and the Koobas were Ric bands, but the Paramounts (who would eventually evolve to Procal Harum) had a Strat-playing guitarist who has been a devoted user of that instrument for almost his entire career: Robin Trower. That's some speculation, but based on who was on the tour, the guitars that were most frequently used and the history that toward the end of the time with the Paramounts that Trower was using a Strat instead of the Gretsch that he'd been playing for most of the time with the band. That would be my guess...
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

That would be my guess as well, but I thought that I'd heard somewhere that it showed up later...not sure.

Also strange is that it's pictured with all of the rest of the group's gear. That 345 is a bit of a mystery guitar as well.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

The 345 was George's. It made a brief appearance on the tour and some promo clips and went away. And as for the shot, it may well have been set up by the photographer when no one else was around.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Check out this photo:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

John WAS using his '61 Strat on the final UK tour. I guess it was originally was a backup for his 325, but became the main guitar as the tour wore on...

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

the last of Jake's photos was published in the Mojo speacial "The Beatles, Classic, Rare Unseen" from 2004
p.78/79 with the following note:
"The Beatles by Bob Whitaker, London, Dec 1964
Rehersals for the second Beatles Christmas Show in December 1964. These shots were taken at the Donmar Warehouse, then usually reserved as a rehersal space
for the London Festival Ballet."

Anyway, of course the photo was shot in Dec. 1965. You can see the Gibson 345 in the official "We can work it out" video.

Wolfgang
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Hey Jake, I can't see your photos for some reason.

I knew that the 345 was George's, it's just always been a bit strange to me that he only used it briefly in '64 - '65 (I think), and then it disappears.
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

the 345 was seen in the Ticket to Ride video, too.
The single was released in April 65.

Wolfgang
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wasn't this one of two powder blue Stratocasters Mal Evans was sent to get John and George at the time of the Rubber Soul sessions?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

admin wrote:Wasn't this one of two powder blue Stratocasters Mal Evans was sent to get John and George at the time of the Rubber Soul sessions?
Check out the dark color and matching painted headstock in the first photo. Couldn't be SB.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Jake's pics loaded now. I would speculate that the second pic there is the dark Strat in question. Note that the clothing they're wearing is the same as in my picture.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

dpowell wrote:Jake's pics loaded now. I would speculate that the second pic there is the dark Strat in question. Note that the clothing they're wearing is the same as in my picture.
It could be the exact same photo, just a different angle, unfortunately the shadow is going away from them so you can't tell if there is photographer there it that same moment.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”