SHOW US YOUR PEDALBOARDS!

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: SHOW US YOUR PEDALBOARDS!

Post by JakeK »

whojamfan wrote:Guitar Center has what I understand to be an exclusive on a Pedaltrain Board called the PT-1, which comes with a heavy duty carrying case(not quite a flight case, but pretty good) that you can carry on a plane to travel. I've had mine for over a year and it's a great medium size board. I think all your pedals would fit on it Jake.

Best part-$119 bucks plus tax.

Again, I've only seen these at guitar center, and you can carry all of your pedals on the plane the next time you come out to do the alligator with us! :D

Pedaltrain boards themselves are professional grade and make routing cabbles and mounting pedala a snap. They have some pretty pricey ones that come with real flight cases that weigh a ton.

Let us know what you get :wink:
Yeah, I've been considering a Pedaltrain board, and did not know that they did the GC exclusive. Will most definitely check that out and congrats on the endorsement. We can swap over test drives on our pedalboards next August :wink: :D I actually think you'd like the Red Llama quite a bit. You'd probably get fed up with the piggy squealing Tube Screamer very quickly, though :lol:
idealassets wrote:Has anyone considered a multi-effects unit?
I'm not keen on them, but there are a few folks who are and can share they're experiences. If I were gonna go that way, I'd look no further than a Vox Tonelab.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Craig,

IMHO, the best of the new multi-effects units is the Boss GT-100. It has all the flexibility and versatility of my old Boss GT-3, but it has two high resolution screens instead of just one, and is supposedly great for direct recording. You might check out the Holiday 2012 issue of "Guitar Player," which contains reviews of five multi-effects units, including Boss, DigiTech, Line 6, Vox, and Zoom.

Congratulations on the acquisition of your new JB2 Byrds LE pedal. I'm sure you'll get years of pleasure from it: My JB2 sings with all my guitars.

Keep us posted on the multi-effects unit search. By all means, take some of your gear to your local Guitar Center and audition one or all of them.

Robert
T28

Post by T28 »

Here is my current giggin setup for bass.
PedalTrain2 that I modified to have the inputs and outputs drilled into the metal case so that the pedals never have any stress on them and never have the jacks stressed from constant plugging and unplugging. You can't tell easily from the pic because of the pedals but the input/output are actually drilled and mounted into the PedalTrain casing with the cables then running to the Empress buffer.

BOSS TU1000 Tuner cause I am blind and like to easily see where my tuning is
Source Audio Programmable EQ
Taurus Vechoor Chorus/Flanger
Taurus Zebu Reverb/Echo
Empress Buffer +
FEA DE-CL Dual Engine Compressor/Limiter
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

Congratulations on the acquisition of your new JB2 Byrds LE pedal. I'm sure you'll get years of pleasure from it: My JB2 sings with all my guitars.
I believe that the JB2 was a "must have" for me. I especially use it for playing my acoustic 12 string, since sometimes I am not playing controlled enough while singing. In other words I don't want the guitar to be overdriving it if I am not able to pick it lightly enough. The JB2 rounds my playing variations out quite nice.

So what you see is what I use to sing solo, or with a band. Eventually I will experiment with some overdrive, distortion, and a looper.

It seems that most guitar players I know have had a lot of their effects pedals since the 1970's. I don't blame them for sticking with what they have.

Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

You might check out the Holiday 2012 issue of "Guitar Player,"
Yes, I bought that issue and read through it. That's what got me interested. Now its a matter of seeing what a lot of folks are using, and why they like it. But when I enter into GC, they are all too eager to make the sale, with very limited knowledge. But yes, GC mostly does produce the gear that can be be had here locally.

It doesn't seem right, but I have seen a number of slightly proficient local guitar players that are unschooled in using any type of effects. I am learning my licks by mostly duplication, and for that matter I don't mind duplicating the same effects as well. I'm working on Roger McGuinn and George Harrsion licks mainly from the 60's, something that's within reach, and in my opinion sounds quite tasty as well.

Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
8mileshigher

SHOW US YOUR PEDALBOARDS!

Post by 8mileshigher »

Congrats on the endorsement deal, Snowman !!
:D :D
We'll show up at your booth so you can give us the sales-pitch at NAMM !! :wink: :mrgreen:
Fuzzy Thoughts

Post by Fuzzy Thoughts »

BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

The current set-up...

Still a ways to go to catch up to Paul A. :lol:

The JangleBox just 'cuz I have a 12 string Ric (and sounds pretty convincing for The Pretenders on 6 string), the Diamond compressor for most everything, the Red Llama is a new addition to replace a Maxon OD-9 (Analogman silver) it has a more wooly rasp on it and keeps some treble in it, the Timmy is a lower gain OD, then VP, Jr pedal, to MXR Carbon Copy, Boss CE-2, Boss FRV-1 and Boss TR-2 ('cuz the AC30 doesn't have a reverb or tremolo circuit).
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Lookin' good there, Steve! I'm really intrigued by your board housing there...

What are your thoughts on the Llama? How does it stack against the Timmy? How are you able to get an "Oh Mama!" sound without it sounded like a family of baby pigs at feeding time?

I was going to go for a Boss CE-2, but wanted a stereo output, and all I could find was a brand new CE-5 for a reasonable price. It's got the wobbly sound I'm looking for and it's stereo and that's good enough for me.

Still trying to find a reasonable price on a board housing unit, and my guitar tech says he can hook me up with a good one. Really tempted by a Pedaltrain... I also know a carpenter who can build me a DIY unit, too.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Now that I've had some time to learn the ins and outs of the Boss GT-100, I think it's definitely the best multi-effects unit I've come across. It's unbelievably versatile and very easy to program. I would recommend it to anyone serious about gigging or recording. 8)
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

JakeK wrote:Lookin' good there, Steve! I'm really intrigued by your board housing there...

What are your thoughts on the Llama? How does it stack against the Timmy? How are you able to get an "Oh Mama!" sound without it sounded like a family of baby pigs at feeding time?

I was going to go for a Boss CE-2, but wanted a stereo output, and all I could find was a brand new CE-5 for a reasonable price. It's got the wobbly sound I'm looking for and it's stereo and that's good enough for me.

Still trying to find a reasonable price on a board housing unit, and my guitar tech says he can hook me up with a good one. Really tempted by a Pedaltrain... I also know a carpenter who can build me a DIY unit, too.
I haven't tried the Llama with a Fender amp, but with the AC30, it gets the "Mike Campbell" overdrive tone I was looking for without losing the high end "Ke-rang". It has some "wooliness" or grit without the midrange hump the TS type pedal has (although the Analogman mod makes a great TS). I wanted that tone without going to the Muff type distortion. I really like the sustain that pedal has. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts...

So far, I am not really pushing the Llama "drive" knob up too far, I just wanted a little grit.

I liked stacking the TS with the Timmmy, but haven't spent much time stackng the Llama and Timmy, so can't really comment.

The pedalboad is a Furman powered stereo pedalboard. It came with a soft case and has a nice built in filtered power supply. I found it at Guitar Center Fountain Valley when I went down for a mini-jam a couple of years ago. They were closing them out back then. I think it was $149.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I know, I know, I start the thread and still no board pic. Still making my final changes. I just want 1 board that works for both my Les Paul though Hiwatt rig and my 330FGVP through AC30 rig. a tall order, but like so close it's scary :shock:

The Pedaltrain PT-1 at Guitar Center for $119 bucks with a hard case is still the best deal going in nmy opinion. Both the Voodoo Labs ISO-5 or Pedal Power Plus mount perfectly underneath and have a hole cut out to plug the power in. The board is big enough for mosr gigging setups, yet still works well on a crowded stage. Just my 2 cents :mrgreen:
loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Post by loendmaestro »

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Finally was able to get my board all together!

This Pedaltrain-type board was given to me in July 2010 by a Jeff Beck/Jimmy Page-type guitarist who had ditched individual stompboxes and amps for a Boss multi-effects unit DI'd into his PA. When I got the Red Llama, Cry Baby and chorus pedals, I didn't think they'd all fit on it. After ditching the tone-sucking Cry Baby, moving the tuner to the top of the board and running the rest in-line I was able to get it all assembled.

The signal path is now this:
Guitar into
Tuner < Janglebox < Red Llama < Keeley Mod Tube Screamer < Boss CE-5 into
Deluxe Reverb RI, whose footswitch sits nicely on the board and stomped on when needed.

The Janglebox is almost always used. The Red Llama for those crunchy chords and nails the tones of Tom Petty/Mike Campbell and Keith Richards/Ronnie Wood convincingly. The Keeley Mod TS-9 is a loaner pedal from my guitar tech, and MUCH better than the stock TS-9. There's still the mid-hump, but there's more bass and gain. When stacked with the Llama, it's a huge sound...on 2 :shock: The CE-5 is used for those dreamy, Leslie-like sounds (think "Badge" or "Let It Be"). It's all powered by a 1Spot Daisy Chain. I would like to try the Voodoo Labs pedal power at some point. Also is the Deluxe's footswitch, which is used sporadically.

These pedals sound great for me, make me happy and get the job done. Now all I need's a band and some gigs/jams and I can put this stuff to use! :D :lol: :P
Attachments
board2.jpg
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Currently in use with my Rick basses:
IMG_4372.JPG
top row = MXR Bass Chorus/Flanger Deluxe, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, MXR Bass Compressor;
bottom row = Amptweaker Swirlpool, Amptweaker Bass Tight Fuzz, Dunlop Bass Cry Baby wah, Boss TU-3 Tuner;
extreme bottom row, under wah pedal = pedal switching appendage!
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”