NCD & NGD: Canon T3 & '67 625

Capturing Guitar images
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

NCD & NGD: Canon T3 & '67 625

Post by sloop_john_b »

Having a blast with my new camera (got bit by the photography bug) and this old Jetglo beauty is just SO photogenic!
headstock_625.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: NCD & NGD: Canon T3 & '67 625

Post by sloop_john_b »

625_body.jpg
625_inlay.jpg
625_toaster.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I'm using a decent "kit lens" with it, but I've already got GAS for a new piece of glass. :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Very cool,John. That is a really sweet looking guitar. I was really enticed last week by a '61 Gibson Melody Maker i stumbled upon in a Medford shop. (and my guitar skills are ,well,lousy.)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Looks like a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with the EF-S 18-55mm IS II zoom lens. Nice!
Nice pics too! Watch it, camera GAS can end up costing even more that RAS...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

woodyng wrote:Very cool,John. That is a really sweet looking guitar. I was really enticed last week by a '61 Gibson Melody Maker i stumbled upon in a Medford shop. (and my guitar skills are ,well,lousy.)
It is in need of a truss rod adjustment (waiting on a thin-walled rod adjuster from Chris Clayton), but man, the old DiMarzio Super Distortion at the bridge just SCREAMS! Just as I hoped it would.

Only issue with this guitar is that the break angle over the bridge is pretty pathetic. Trying to figure out what tailpiece to go with to best improve it and even considering a Bigsby B5 since the guitar's already been routed out.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cjj wrote:Looks like a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with the EF-S 18-55mm IS II zoom lens. Nice!
Nice pics too! Watch it, camera GAS can end up costing even more that RAS...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is exactly right CJ! Damn! :shock:

Yes, camera GAS has not been kind to me this week - and the fact that I work exactly ONE door down from Adorama does not help matters! :(

The camera I really fell in love with was the EOS 60D with an 18-135 lens, which a friend of mine had borrowed from work for the weekend. Not exactly a starter body at over $1k but something to work up to. This T3 is very nice for a novice like me. :)

I've been taking the advice of a photog friend by avoiding the "preset" modes and shooting only in manual mode, adjusting the shutter and aperture as I go. It has been a real learning experience!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

sloop_john_b wrote: Yes, camera GAS has not been kind to me this week - and the fact that I work exactly ONE door down from Adorama does not help matters! :(
Oh, that would be bad. I ordered something from Adorama just last week (new lens)...
:oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

What's your "rig" CJ?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, the latest is a Nikon D7000, the new lens is an AF-S Nikkor 18-55 VR. But I've got 5 other Nikons (going all the way back to an early 1960 Nikon F my dad bought in Japan on his way back from Korea), and a whole slew of lenses...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Ah, so you're a Nikon man!

Nikon/Canon = Gibson/Fender of the camera world? Do I have that right? :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

sloop_john_b wrote:Ah, so you're a Nikon man!

Nikon/Canon = Gibson/Fender of the camera world? Do I have that right? :lol:

Yep, and I'm a Nikon man (SLR).

Looking good, JB!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, maybe. I mostly got into Nikon because of that old Nikon F. I inherited it and so, had a camera and a few lenses. The nice thing about Nikon is that for the most part, all the lenses fit/work on all the cameras (there are a few exceptions with really old F lenses). I can take any of my old lenses and they'll work just fine on the newest cameras...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cjj wrote:Well, maybe. I mostly got into Nikon because of that old Nikon F. I inherited it and so, had a camera and a few lenses. The nice thing about Nikon is that for the most part, all the lenses fit/work on all the cameras (there are a few exceptions with really old F lenses). I can take any of my old lenses and they'll work just fine on the newest cameras...
Very cool!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Canon lens compatibility goes back to 1987 when they completely redesigned their system for auto-focus (EOS Series). So even though you can't use a lens from 1959 on a newer Canon, there's still a lot of lenses out there that will work just fine.

In reality, Nikon and Canon are different, but just as good as each other. They compete so heavily against each other that if one of them were really better, the other would have gone out of business a long time ago...

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”