Possibly buying an '83 360, have a question.

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pocaloc

Possibly buying an '83 360, have a question.

Post by pocaloc »

Is a guitar from this era considered more "special", for lack of a better way of describing it, than a guitar produced from '84 to present? Isn't it true that there is something different with the wiring that some think is better. I've heard that Johnny Marr and Peter Buck played guitars that were produced in this period. Sorry if my question sounds dumb. Thanks
ric330
Intermediate Member

Re: Possibly buying an '83 360, have a question.

Post by ric330 »

I have no idea myself but I did own a Ric from 1981 that was exceptional with toasters. The one that got away :? . I'm still kicking myself for letting that one go.
I just got a current 360 that is fabulous. If you get it please post and let us know what you think.
...went in to buy a 52' Tele and walked out with a 360 Jetglo...
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

I guess I'm looking for information on whether there are many differences between an 83' a 96', and an 08? Those are the three that I'm looking at, and can't try in person. The hardest one for me to get into will be the '83 and I was trying to decide if it is worth the effort. I know the cases will be different.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

pocaloc wrote:I guess I'm looking for information on whether there are many differences between an 83' a 96', and an 08? Those are the three that I'm looking at, and can't try in person. The hardest one for me to get into will be the '83 and I was trying to decide if it is worth the effort. I know the cases will be different.
What's different about an '83:

The top is generally thickish but it also has X-braces like 60's and 70's models have. This is a unique middle ground that is only present on the early 80's guitars as they transitioned from thin X-braced tops to the thicker integrated top.
No CNC... all guitars made on equipment that posed a potential health hazard to workers and was worse for the environment than current processes. The good old days. 8)
The necks are known for being really thin, often combined with a thick fingerboard.
Cool tuners... Klusons or Grover Klusonesque copies.
Small vintage headstock.
The era is known for it's great Hi-Gain sound... Johnny Marr, Peter Buck etc.
Vintage wiring with the bass-cut cap permanently in-line with the bridge pickup.
Awesome, dished out ramp carves.
Low production numbers=more individual TLC paid to each instrument. Less than 2000 total instruments made in 1983, one of the worst production years on record.

No question I would buy the '83. I have one and it's the best(Ric that I can afford)!
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

Thanks so much for the EXACT information I was looking for egosheep.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The stock hi-gains may be underwound for maximum brightness in the bridge position and overwound for maximum mellow in the neck position.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”