Janglebell Rock® SCARF 12/8/12

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

manta
Intermediate Member

Re: Janglebell Rock® SCARF 12/8/12

Post by manta »

Yes, how did it go?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Let's just say that the jamming went back to the likes of 2009 and 2010.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

rickenbrother wrote:Let's just say that the jamming went back to the likes of 2009 and 2010.
He's being polite. Someone wore out their welcome on stage, unfortunately, which limited participation by many.
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sorry to hear about the "quality" of the event.
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Maybe they should have played "Piggies" in their set :roll:
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Thanks for the pics Steve. My camera battery failed once again!
johnhall wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:Let's just say that the jamming went back to the likes of 2009 and 2010.
He's being polite. Someone wore out their welcome on stage, unfortunately, which limited participation by many.
It was more than one person.
We're going to radically change the organization of future jams, at least any future jam or event that I organize or co-organize. Then we can finally say goodbye to lists. Collin W is right, lists don't work.
When someone like Steve F drives as far as he does to be with us and then gets to play on only on about 4 songs, it's just not right, not cool. Steve didn't complain, he's too nice. Just the observation of myself and others.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday and even sorrier to hear that you had the stage hogs. Steve is one of the nicest people that I have met at the Rick jams and you're right; he should get a lot more stage time than 4 songs.

I've been to a number of these SCARFs and a bunch of the times, it's been mostly as an observer. What I've seen happen a number of times is when two or three people who play together a lot (whether in a band or just as friends) try and turn the jam into their own personal showcase or rehearsal. I've seen some guitarists (especially) stay on the stage for well over an hour. The local regulars are usually very good about playing 4 or 5 songs (or 20 - 30 minutes) and then giving someone else a chance. Maybe Paulie should trade his stop sign for a rotten fish sign. Then (at the jam), if you get shown the rotten fish, it's time to for you to leave the stage. A brave soul with a pair of wire cutters might be another, more aggressive option (kidding).

Anyway, I'm interested to see how the format might be changing. Now, where are all of the pics?
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

beatbyrd wrote:I've been to a number of these SCARFs and a bunch of the times, it's been mostly as an observer. What I've seen happen a number of times is when two or three people who play together a lot (whether in a band or just as friends) try and turn the jam into their own personal showcase or rehearsal. I've seen some guitarists (especially) stay on the stage for well over an hour. The local regulars are usually very good about playing 4 or 5 songs (or 20 - 30 minutes) and then giving someone else a chance. Maybe Paulie should trade his stop sign for a rotten fish sign. Then (at the jam), if you get shown the rotten fish, it's time to for you to leave the stage.
It's Dan-o's sign. He didn't bring it. He didn't think he needed it. We thought we were well past that nonsense.

Anyway, let's not focus on the negative anymore. Despite the stage hogging, there's always great people and the best guitars in the world at these jams, so we do have a good time.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

beatbyrd wrote:A brave soul with a pair of wire cutters might be another, more aggressive option (kidding).
(Not kidding), I knew a guy, in my early days of playing bass, who actually did this a couple times in my presence, I did not know his past history until years later. :(
s4001

Post by s4001 »

The pix do look like there was fun to be had.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

rickenbrother wrote: there's always great people and the best guitars in the world at these jams, so we do have a good time.
Yep, that's the way I look at it :)
In spite of the situation already mentioned .... there was lots of good music performed by the assembled jammers and its always great to see old friends at these events. And we had a couple of first-timers join in yesterday, whose enthusiasm for Rickenbackers was definitely enhanced by the experience.

Steve - thanks for posting the first pictures. And I hope others have some more pictures to post too, as there were many good memories that can be memorialized in pictures.

Onwards and upwards ....
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I had a great time seeing my forum buddies yesterday, and got to meet a few new ones. To those of you who left yesterday because the band-yes whole band-that was on stage was not working with the list or showing the event any respect, my apologies. This isn't normal for folks that sign up(or not) to be able to play with the forum members. What happened was so crass it was hard to believe it was happening, and really bummed a lot of people out.

For the record, just in case people don't fully understand what a "jam" means, and what the purpose of the events is, I'd just like to add my 2 cents. Many of us who help to put these events together are semi to professional players, or at least have bands we play in on a regular basis. This is why we have big amplifiers and make sure the PA system will work for the room, and all that other stuff you learn being involved in the biz-even on a weekend arrior status. Many of us show up with our gear for other folks to use, and basically play if we are needed in a song. The people we want playing are the folks who do NOT have a band, or ever played with one, or ever played live before. We want the bedroom blaster and the armchair plinker showing up and having the opportunity to play they wouldn't have anywhere else in the world. Some people never get to be in a band or get to play with one, so we give them the chance to get up there with no pressure to have a GOOD TIME playing some favorites or whatnot. I don't show up expecting to play, I go because I want to meet people I'm building friendships with, see my friends and help out, and hopefully everyone can have a good time getting to play-even if it's only one song, Unfortunately, there are inconsiderate people who show up sometimes and one guy was on stage the ENTIRE time dominating every lead of every song and intimidating the folks who just wanted to have fun and were part of our forum and supposed to be there in the first place. It was sad seeing so many forumites who turned up stay for not too long and then leave.

Sorry, really kinda on my last nerve, I hate the whole rude scene that went down. Joey, Rich, and the rest all did a great job of setting it up, and these jokers just hogged the whole deal.

I'm putting this out there so that when we do this next time and someone wants to start tripping on the way it gets run and set up, they can be directed to this post. It's a forum jam for Rickenbacker enthusiasts, and we want EVERYBODY to have a good time and get to play. My apologies for not dragging them offstage but I just recently had double miniscus surgery, and can't walk very well right now.

Anyways, as Joey said, it's gonna be a little while before we have another major public event. We have been jamming it up a lot this year, and this last deal waqs a sign that we need to take a rest and rethink the whole business. 2013 will hold a SCARF, and we will have figured out how we can NOT have any of these problems and make it a fun event for everyone. So please understand, that;s where we are coming from when things get done differently for SCARF 2013.

Thank you my friends, had a great time seeing and playing with you guys once again, and am looking forward to next time. Be safe everyone, Happy Holidays, and see you in the New Year! :D
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

A few "thank you's" are in order:

First, to Joey and Diane, who have put so many hours and so much effort into organizing many, many Jams and SCARF events over several years, and taking care of all the details. A true labor of love. :D And to Gary and Paulie and all the others who have been involved in behind the scene activities, for so many local Jams and Mini Con events and all their efforts making these events successful.

Thanks to Tim and Dale for supplying the drum kit and amps and so much gear, at several of these events.

Thanks to JH and Cindalee and Ben and several other folks at Rickenbacker, who always come out and support the Jams.

Thanks to all the good people on this Forum 8) who show up and participate at the Jams, and for sharing their talents and their guitars and basses and lending a helping hand ... and for always having the good graces to share the stage with others. And special recognition to several Forumites who have traveled long distances, by car and airplanes, to attend these events, on a fairly frequent basis.

Thanks to all the photographers who post pictures regularly of these events.

And Thanks to everyone who still have a good-time, whenever we get together, in spite of the difficulties mentioned ....

P.S. --- i almost forgot -- a big thanks to our several drummers (John, Rudy and Jeff) who sat in and made the rest of us sound good playing !
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collin

Post by collin »

Wow - I was officiating my sister's wedding on Saturday, looks like I missed quite a lot! :shock:

From what I gather, and what I know, it seems that maybe the seriousness of the "jam" sessions needs to be taken down a couple notches. I agree with Mike -I spent my youth playing in bands, I don't necessarily need to get up and play, I'd much rather hang out nursing a beer while watching others have fun and kick out the jams.

Along those same lines, I'd like to think of these events as more similar to Karaoke with real instruments - low expectations for perfection, short stints on stage with a variety of people, and a general atmosphere of FUN. Who cares if you flub a note? Who cares if the singer forgets the words?

Just keep it fun, keep it low-pressure and celebrate these instruments with the company of good friends. 8)

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”